Peer Group Advice

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by cz1234, Dec 12, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

I did the SCORE thing. They are great for business checklists...kind of like getting a basic roadmap vs. a topography map. I am looking for the depth.

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I understand
    try the search function on here
    try following the big biz members on here Thumbs Up

keep in mind when advice is free you get what you pay for

its a give and take on ls and try to keep a sense of humor imo to keep from going crazy

3. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

See if there is a Entrepreneurial Organization (EO) chapter in your area - monthly peer to peer experience sharing for companies with revenue over 1MM. Most chapters also have an accelerator program for businesses between 250k - 1MM.

cz1234 likes this.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

There is no worse way to introduce yourself to a community-driven site by saying, "Just joined. Way to too much to read here, so who wants to take it offline?".

There is a lot of really good information on this site. You're so new that you don't even know who the experts are, who pretends they are, and who is in your shoes. Once you identify those, you can make far easier work of filtering out what you should be reading. As a tip, you might just start with the archives of the guy who posted above me.

As for joining a peer group, on paper, you're legitimately just about the worst candidate possible for inclusion. The generic, non-descriptive "from the marketing side of the street" feels like a tap dance around your quals and it's hard to imagine it's a fair trade off to an experienced group of business owners taking on a wholly unqualified, inexperienced member. We've referred to those as parasitic candidates and it would be hard for you to present a case to join a roundtable of people you would want to be on a roundtable with in the first place.

It's the old Groucho Marx joke, "I don't want to join a club that will have me as a member." .

5. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your insights. I have been on the site for a couple years in the background reading posts. This site is wonderful and I am not debating that.

Peer groups aren't new, nor a bad way to share ideas in a more personal environment. I simply was looking to see if there are any inner groups or other interested people. Am I amazing enough to think I am a perfect candidate for the seasoned group of pro's like you referred, no, but unless you ask, the answer is always no. A few people already pointed me in great directions via post or DM - which is appreciated.

As much as your message may or may not be on point, I understand where you are coming from. The point about observing real deal vs. not vs. newbie has appreciated advice as well as member archives.

6. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

So... where did you go?

Mark Oomkes and dieselss like this.
  7. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

He did the big Houdini. poof

Cam15 likes this.
  8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Saw that coming....

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Senior Member

You all think that your responses 6 months ago possibly weren't the warm welcome to keep him engaged?

Why the hate on a guy wanting to learn from others? I love my offline convos with business friends ive made here and elsewhere. Many of them have been clutch to my company or my friends. When the tide rises, all boats go up.

OP, if you're still watching, turfbooks puts on a few peer groups for lawn and pest app specific companies. I'd have joined years ago but the group's all have a member from my areas already. If you just want green industry peers, I'd imagine Marty Grunder can get you into one of his more quickly.

10. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

Last seen January 2, 2019.

dieselss likes this.