Pennsylvania guys come in!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chrisl285, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. chrisl285

    chrisl285 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Guys I need some input on a couple of items. I have accumulated all necessary equipment to get me starting mowing part-time. I want to make sure I am 100% legit to be mowing in PA specifically Montogmery and Bucks county. Below is my list of action items starting with what I need to do first. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

    -Register LLC through state of PA
    -Set up General Liability through Insurance Co (1 mil)
    -Workers Comp (Self employed and only employee) Where do i go for this?
    -Set up business checking account
    -Get set up with Quickbooks
    -Business cards/flyers
    -Can i use a personal vehicle to run my business (can I write off repairs or would the truck need to be resisted as businness vehicle to do so).

    Please add to the list and answere any questions you can. Thanks so much.
  2. birtchetg

    birtchetg LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    You can use your personal truck for your business, but you need to contact your insurance company and let them know. Your insurance will need to be adjusted to cover you driving your truck for business. If you got in an accident pulling mowers theoretically your insurance company could deny your claim because your current policy is probably for personal use. You will have to get with an accountant regarding write offs when it comes to personal use vehicles. You cant write everything with the truck off since you use it for personal and business. Your accountant will be able to look at your situation and tell you the best way to file. Also, is you are the owner of the company and dont have anyone working for/with you, I dont think you need workers comp unless you are collecting a salary from your company. My brother and I have a partnership and dont collect a salary which allows us to forego the comp insurance. Its a weird setup and I dont fully understand it. (which is why you need a good lawyer and accountant) I am in northern montgomery county so we are close. PM me if you want to chat anytime. Good Luck!!
  3. chrisl285

    chrisl285 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Thanks for the reply!

    Do you know if Montgomery County requires any sort of license? If not sounds like I need to get my insurance squared away with the truck, get my general liability insurance, and then register my business through the state of PA.
  4. birtchetg

    birtchetg LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    Montco does not. Depending on what township you live in you may have to go and get a local permit. My particular township doesnt require anything at all. Most townships/counties dont take LCOs seriously which is why there are so many uninsured turds running around. You can register your company right online in PA. A "ficticious name" will run you 70 bucks. Oh, and dont forget to get your federal EIN number. You can do that right online as well.

Share This Page