People who see you in business, and think they can get rich quick.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve wanted to post this thread for years!
Who has seen friends, of family venture into this line of work because of the wanted instant gratification? Yes instant.

Everyone thinks it’s easy. Cracks me up when they tank, and ask me to mow the
lawn…

Heres a relevant example.,. I have fellow acquaintances that think they can do what I do..but went belly up when it’s time to be a legit business And couldn’t pay me to cut the lawn EOW. Owed me money for 2 months… Service cancelled!

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
My thoughts have always been they think nothing well every happen to them. No break downs, no flat tires, every customer will understand and be great to work for,

add to that a “business plan” of mowing for $25 and thinking running all over town will give them volume business.

I think until you do this in any capacity for awhile, you truly don’t understand the things that will impact your bottom line. It’s not the other guy that will break down , have problem customers, delays or outright not getting paid, getting fired, it will be you too. That’s a difficult part of the industry to explain to anyone new.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
Ya, most people view landscapers as being pretty far down on the social ladder. Some of our wealthy clients give us about as much respect as higher paid serfs.

Anyhow, the only people I have known that thought you could get rich easily by running a landscaping business are ex-employees who got a little bit of experience and money and thought they could make it big. To my knowledge, every single one of them has failed and given up on their business venture within a year or two. You don't get rich in this industry without working like a mule and putting in a lot of hours.

Employees have the delusion that just because we have expensive trucks and equipment that we are pocketing millions.

Last edited:

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
add to that a “business plan” of mowing for $25

I made friends with a local start up and it seems the opposite with him. He started with some money from the military and went straight in on a f250, 14’ trailer with a second side ramp and a big Z. I get the impression that he considered himself a professional right out the gate and was quoting jobs like he was a big outfit with 4 wrapped trucks and crews.
To look at both our setups side by side one might think he’s doing considerably better than me but it’s not the case from the clues I gather. It seems in his situation he had more money then knowledge of the business and just bought “a nice big z” and “a bigger trailer than you need” without really thinking it through. We cross paths every month or so and I’ve noticed that I’m definitely bringing more useful information to the table when talking. He liked my 36” stander and now he has a 36” Scag stander that is his most useful mower. Dude has so so much more money in his business then I do for mowing, and now wants to focus on tree work. I genuinely hope the best for the guy but man is he hemorrhaging money.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I think that’s a theme that gets repeated over and over. “ people expect to see me in a professional manner” lol

for years, my most reliable and utilized vehicle was a 98 Chevy Silverado 2 wd. Nobody cared what I drove up with, it was all about getting their work done. I don’t know at what point, if ever, people realize that no one really cares, much less remembers what you drive. Quite honestly, most people aren’t “forever” customers and move on from you or you them.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I don’t know at what point, if ever, people realize that no one really cares, much less remembers what you drive.
Interesting topic, I’ve thought about having a tastefully wrapped car to really polish my image but I don’t think I want my phone ringing from places I didn’t advertise on. I like the phone ringing in the early spring from homes that got hangers when I’m not busy yet. I get a call now and then from referrals in season and that’s fine.

Top Forums