Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 332 Posts
Given your perspective you should lower your price to $23.99 per lawn and you would be so busy you would surely turn a profit twice as fast then because the market would surely take advantage of that price if that is their main concern.
THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! If you guys keep lowering the bar everybody suffers, I hear it from new customers that move here all the time," It didn't cost that much where we came from" My reply " but your not there your here and it cost more here. I've had plenty of people say I'm not paying that much! I say ok call someone else! they do and find out the competition is even higher and call me back and say I'll pay your price. So see it does work if everybody refuses to lower their price. Trust me, you can't compete on price alone, you'll run yourself out of business.

I think it just comes down to what market you want to be in, I don't see verizon or ATT lowering their prices just because the newer low end companies have come into the market, I'll stay with verizon and pay a bit more because I want the quality service they offer unlike their cheapo competitors.

THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! If you guys keep lowering the bar everybody suffers, I hear it from new customers that move here all the time," It didn't cost that much where we came from" My reply " but your not there your here and it cost more here. I've had plenty of people say I'm not paying that much! I say ok call someone else! they do and find out the competition is even higher and call me back and say I'll pay your price. So see it does work if everybody refuses to lower their price. Trust me, you can't compete on price alone, you'll run yourself out of business.
I've heard this before. "Well my vacation home in florida only costs $50 per month to mow and you want $50 per cut?"

We can't control what people will pay, I agree with Yardguy. If I say $50, the next guy running a startup will do it for $35. It doesn't matter what your location. If a customer isn't willing to pay your rates and everybody had the same minimum those people would just buy a mower and do it themselves. I do the same as you, here is my price, if they ask why I explain the cost of doing business. If they want cheaper I wish them luck and if anything changes to give me a call.

Discussion starter · #125 ·
We have a mix of the $25, $35, and may $40 lawns here (1/4-1/3 acre) so if someone doesn't like your price they WILL find someone else if they are looking for a price. When and only when they go for a higher price is when the service is bad. I just walk when I get the "price" no rather than try and convince someone. Setting a premium price between all lawn contractors would only eliminate potential customers because it's a luxury service. Many people can't fix a plumbing, electrical, or automotive problem. And they NEED those things fixed. A lot of people can mow a lawn and don't need someone to mulch their landscape or trim bushes.

The other thing is catering to those who can afford your services. If someone wants a price over the phone and doesn't want to meet in person, fine here's my starting price......."click". Just look at the direction residential us taking. Those measuring software programs are taking the human contact out of it. I know they may save time but how can you upsell without an initial meeting? I don't know maybe it's just me but I like that initial contact and the chance to sell services.

There are plenty of business making money and lots of it in this industry. I guarantee they are not cutting lawns for $25. They probably don't even mow lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

We have a mix of the $25, $35, and may $40 lawns here (1/4-1/3 acre) so if someone doesn't like your price they WILL find someone else if they are looking for a price. When and only when they go for a higher price is when the service is bad. I just walk when I get the "price" no rather than try and convince someone. Setting a premium price between all lawn contractors would only eliminate potential customers because it's a luxury service. Many people can't fix a plumbing, electrical, or automotive problem. And they NEED those things fixed. A lot of people can mow a lawn and don't need someone to mulch their landscape or trim bushes.

The other thing is catering to those who can afford your services. If someone wants a price over the phone and doesn't want to meet in person, fine here's my starting price......."click". Just look at the direction residential us taking. Those measuring software programs are taking the human contact out of it. I know they may save time but how can you upsell without an initial meeting? I don't know maybe it's just me but I like that initial contact and the chance to sell services.

There are plenty of business making money and lots of it in this industry. I guarantee they are not cutting lawns for $25. They probably don't even mow lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is exactly why I don't "just cut grass." I don't want to be competing with guys that will do it for $5 less and customers that are only looking at price. Most properties here have a good amount of landscaping and a good amount of people want everything taken care of. A lot of the mow and blow guys here just want to cut grass and if they do take care of the landscaping, they hack through it so people will generally pay more for quality work....
Posted via Mobile Device

Given your perspective you should lower your price to $23.99 per lawn and you would be so busy you would surely turn a profit twice as fast then because the market would surely take advantage of that price if that is their main concern.
I'm only one person. I also am only willing to work so many hours in a days time and work so many days out of the week.

when I start the season I fill up any holes in my schedule then I'm full until something opens up.

my mind set has never been quantity. as the example goes which is better 5 $10 lawns or 10 $5 lawns.

I've also seen people who charge for x amount of cuts and they provide x amount of cuts drought or soaking wet what's your opinion on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's just wrong, you're saying they go in the yard when it's soaking wet? or charge and don't cut when it's wet? I've seen guys cutting yards in the pouring rain, just wrong imop. I've also gained accounts because they rutted up the yard as a result.

Posted via Mobile Device
All true! I don't give prices over the phone either for the same reason. You have to accept the fact that everybody isn't going to buy your services, and that's fine, just like everybody can't afford a million dollar home, well EVERYBODY can't afford a landscaper either, so I wish guys would quit trying to make it so they could. We're in a luxury industry, and have to charge accordingly. Yes , most basically everyone can mow their grass, but can they do it well? Shoot, everybody can drive a car, but everybody isn't good at it, or even wants to. I never got into this thinking I was only going to mow grass, it was just a base from which to grow into other services.

Guys up here do the same thing. I'll be making a parts run and a lawn guy will come in dressed like a lobsterman. They say they don't want to get behind on their accounts. A little rain isn't bad, but when it's pouring outside it's just as productive to be in the shop catching up on maintenance.

All true! I don't give prices over the phone either for the same reason. You have to accept the fact that everybody isn't going to buy your services, and that's fine, just like everybody can't afford a million dollar home, well EVERYBODY can't afford a landscaper either, so I wish guys would quit trying to make it so they could. We're in a luxury industry, and have to charge accordingly. Yes , most basically everyone can mow their grass, but can they do it well? Shoot, everybody can drive a car, but everybody isn't good at it, or even wants to. I never got into this thinking I was only going to mow grass, it was just a base from which to grow into other services.
Totally agree, it's def a luxury. It's been dumbed down to the point that anyone can afford it. Another reason why I stay away from mow and go....those people typically can't afford much more than that so my prices don't fly with them...at least down here. Not saying that's how it is everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #132 ·
Totally agree, it's def a luxury. It's been dumbed down to the point that anyone can afford it. Another reason why I stay away from mow and go....those people typically can't afford much more than that so my prices don't fly with them...at least down here. Not saying that's how it is everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've mentioned this before in other threads. Why spend $600 on a decent self propelled 21" mower when you can have someone mow your lawn for 3 years! I found it amazing some people who have their lawns mowed by a service.
Posted via Mobile Device

Everyone beats on the maintenance guys but how many companies since 2007 have made more money in the Maintenance section than the Landscaping and had to convert. Not everyone can afford a $40,000 back yard but can afford $150 a month so they dont have to cut their own grass. Gotta make it where you can I would definitely like to do Installs for 5x more but thats not reality

I've mentioned this before in other threads. Why spend $600 on a decent self propelled 21" mower when you can have someone mow your lawn for 3 years! I found it amazing some people who have their lawns mowed by a service.
Posted via Mobile Device
there more to it then just the intial cost of the equipment and that's what clients look when hiring a service.

the people that hire us but could do it themselves don't wanna mess with having fuel and filling it up, the maintenance of the equipment, etc.

to be honest I don't blame them. at this point in my life if I weren't in the business and could afford a lawn service I'd hire one too. I'm only 31 and in excellent health but I'd rather spend my free time enjoying it with say swimming in the summer or playing video games or watching a movie or some form of entertainment.

in fact even though I say I'm never going to retire if I ever would get out of the business the first thing I'm gonna do is sell EVERYTHING and hire an LCO or move to a condo where I don't have to do that stuff.

Discussion starter · #135 ·
there more to it then just the intial cost of the equipment and that's what clients look when hiring a service.

The people that hire us but could do it themselves don't wanna mess with having fuel and filling it up, the maintenance of the equipment, etc.

To be honest i don't blame them. At this point in my life if i weren't in the business and could afford a lawn service i'd hire one too. I'm only 31 and in excellent health but i'd rather spend my free time enjoying it with say swimming in the summer or playing video games or watching a movie or some form of entertainment.

In fact even though i say i'm never going to retire if i ever would get out of the business the first thing i'm gonna do is sell everything and hire an lco or move to a condo where i don't have to do that stuff.
THAT WAS MY POINT! Why mess with all the stuff when you could probably spend the money on a cheap lawn care company. If more companies charged normal money making rates these people would not have a mowing company doing their lawn. But there will always be the low price volume lawn company niche. Not for me.

Discussion starter · #136 ·
Everyone beats on the maintenance guys but how many companies since 2007 have made more money in the Maintenance section than the Landscaping and had to convert. Not everyone can afford a $40,000 back yard but can afford $150 a month so they dont have to cut their own grass. Gotta make it where you can I would definitely like to do Installs for 5x more but thats not reality
I would agree on this but why not have them spend $200 a month, $300?? I bet you could if you wanted... Oh wait nevermind $20 per cut guy is going to mow their lawn because it's "fair".

I would agree on this but why not have them spend $200 a month, $300?? I bet you could if you wanted... Oh wait nevermind $20 per cut guy is going to mow their lawn because it's "fair".
10 years ago, before all the illegals got in the game you couldn't touch a LCO for less than $300/month, and all that had a LCO doing their yard was someone that could actually afford it, not every Joe on the block. We've got to get back to target marketing and leave all these people that have no business hiring a LCO alone.

I disagree.

having a lawn service is no longer for the rich as a luxury.

there are tons of people who need someone to cut there grass. the elderly and disabled are the major ones.

I'm not saying charge dirt cheap but we need to keep prices afforable and fair.

as long as there scrubs though prices will never be able to total raise to where some of you want them and the higher you raise yours the more scrubs you will employ.

I'm 100% legal as a business in every way but because I'm solo my overhead is much lower than those with employees. because I'm single my cost of living is less than those with wife's and children. I personally capitalize on this because I can afford to charge less and still turn a profit than the guy who is married, has a couple kids and 6 employees. so in some regards you guys wanna keep raising your prices through the roof go right ahead. I'll be right behind you with a price that's a little cheaper signing up the clients.

Discussion starter · #139 ·
10 years ago, before all the illegals got in the game you couldn't touch a LCO for less than $300/month, and all that had a LCO doing their yard was someone that could actually afford it, not every Joe on the block. We've got to get back to target marketing and leave all these people that have no business hiring a LCO alone.
That is my plan for this year.

I refuse to be part of the volume mindset. "If I get X amount of lawns I can make this much, well if I double that I can make this much, triple that and WOW I make a ton and only have to work 90hrs per week!!"

I'd rather have 30 customers at premium mowing rates with total landscape maintenance (trimming bushes, mulch, aerating, overseeding, tree trimming, snow plowing, etc...) Make the same money as the volume guy and only need to maybe put in 50-55hr work weeks in the busy part of the spring and then have time to do other projects later in the summer and early fall because you're only maintaining a reasonable amount of lawns (solo that is). But I realize this is not easy to do and more than likely will be like climbing Mt. Everest without supplemental oxygen.

What's funny is that all these big time operations you read about in the magazines got their start in the 80's. Made boatloads of money like a business should and have tons of equipment thats been paid off from all the loot they collected. They can survive in the current market on their increased efficiency because the great profits allowed them to purchase things that just made the work easier rather than completely efficient only.

New business.....can't even afford a mower to do his job without going broke.

We'll see what happens in the next few years, but it's good paying work or no work at all. Not worth killing yourself for pennies instead of dollars.

How many of you like paying for something you don't receive?.......I read many posts of some being confused how you can run a business without knowing how much is going to be coming in. Almost all business runs that way. You can project the years possible income from past years performance and growth, but you never know for sure! Doesn't matter if your retail, building and construction, service industries, etc...... In the end, I feel better billing for what I've done, not what I might do!

121 - 140 of 332 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.