• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Per Man Hour Rate?

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Oklahoma ground tends to be really, really compact clay. Which is what they basically have going on.

Not an expert by any means, but my logic is that loosening the soil and mixing in a fertilizer would allow the sod to root more easily.
Tilling would be ideal, with an application of 10/20/10 fertilizer for root development. You can also use gypsum to help break up the clay soil.

starry night

LawnSite Fanatic
I do a lot of small clean ups too, but most still take at least an hour. I have a man hour rate, even on small jobs the client just doesn’t hear about it.
Just be careful not to sell yourself short even if you are Cam15 or Cam18 or whoever you are. :)

DLL LLC

LawnSite Member
Trying to gauge if my per man hour rate is too low or fairly in line with others. Obviously this various on market, just looking for an average to kind of go by.
Your man hour rate should be determined by knowing your numbers, not what others are charging. Trying to charge or be near what others charge, means you dont know your numbers. You need to figure out your fixed costs (insurance, rent?, utilities) + operating costs (fuel, salary, vehicle expenses, equipment costs (not just what if anything you are currently paying but a replacement cost as well) ) Once you know those numbers and I mean KNOW them, figure out what it costs to run a piece of equipment for an hour, how much gas it uses, the cost or replacement of that piece of equipment. Yes it may be small amounts but those small amounts all add up. Then you can take those totals and divide by your average days/hours you work and then you have your hourly man rate. If you dont know what its costing to run your own business then it wont matter what others are charging, because they arent paying your bills and expenses. We have 4 hourly rates based on lawn mowing, weed&pest applications, landscaping and leaf removal. Each category uses different equipment and trucks. For example for lawn mowing its $50 per man hour, weed and feed is $45, landscaping is $75 and leaf removal is $80. I could give two shakes of a rat's a$$ what others in my area charge. Those are the numbers we need to be a successful business. Why? because we took the time and learned our numbers. Once you do that, you might be shocked at what your man hour rate heeds to be. Good luck

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Platinum Member
Your man hour rate should be determined by knowing your numbers, not what others are charging. Trying to charge or be near what others charge, means you dont know your numbers. You need to figure out your fixed costs (insurance, rent?, utilities) + operating costs (fuel, salary, vehicle expenses, equipment costs (not just what if anything you are currently paying but a replacement cost as well) ) Once you know those numbers and I mean KNOW them, figure out what it costs to run a piece of equipment for an hour, how much gas it uses, the cost or replacement of that piece of equipment. Yes it may be small amounts but those small amounts all add up. Then you can take those totals and divide by your average days/hours you work and then you have your hourly man rate. If you dont know what its costing to run your own business then it wont matter what others are charging, because they arent paying your bills and expenses. We have 4 hourly rates based on lawn mowing, weed&pest applications, landscaping and leaf removal. Each category uses different equipment and trucks. For example for lawn mowing its $50 per man hour, weed and feed is $45, landscaping is $75 and leaf removal is $80. I could give two shakes of a rat's a$$ what others in my area charge. Those are the numbers we need to be a successful business. Why? because we took the time and learned our numbers. Once you do that, you might be shocked at what your man hour rate heeds to be. Good luck
Hmmm, good thoughts.. Thumbs Up