Perfect circle of dead grass

forthetide2

LawnSite Member
About 10 years ago I planted two red oak trees in my front yard about 20 feet apart and 2-3 years ago I noticed a ring around both trees of thin brown grass. There are two perfect circles around both trees, probably about 4-6 feet in circumference and one tree is much worse than the other, the grass is completely disappearing. I was thinking maybe the trees were just taking all the moisture and not leaving much for the grass but I'm no expert. What do you guys think? What can I do? Thanks

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
My state's extension service says that virtually any tree will grow faster and taller if there's no turf in its drip~line.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Trees do take moisture , but they also compete with other root systems , even to the point exuding a toxin to nearby roots, killing the other species as it goes...
There's a name for that, but I can't think what it is right now... :)

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
A fungal treatment may work. May want to call in a licensed applicator to take a look at the issue. That way you put down something that may cause damage to your trees. If possible, could you please post a pic of the rings.
Posted via Mobile Device