1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I really enjoy your work. Your installs are just fantastic. So many layers and such a variety of plants that just compliment each other. I wish I had that type of landscape vision. I get too stuck on woody plants and totally neglect perennials. They add so much to a landscape. You must have some fantastic clients who appreciate your work and allow you to have such creativity vs being handcuffed with small budgets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. OP
    OP
    PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks PL! Yes, we always talk about how lucky we are to have customers that trust us with their installs WITHOUT providing a very detailed drawing or blueprint. It's just always worked out that way and it's becoming the way we sell our work to the customer. Sometimes I wish we could do a job straight off a detailed plan with defined quantities of plants! lol… that would be so much easier.

We do provide plant lists and detailed estimates - so as long as we have some budget and "rules", from there we are pretty flexible with what we want to do.

The downside to how we work on installs are : too many nursery trips, plants not available, no way to pre-order or keep small stock at the shop, and no way to have the nursery pull plants and set them aside (in most cases)… this gets on my nerves frequently!

3. PLLandscape

Your work speaks for itself so people probably feel confident in you abilities.

I hate multiple trips too. Such a waste of valuable time. I just new to remember to use perennials in my designs. My problem is I don't have that extensive plant knowledge in that dept or am just plain forgetful. They can be very inexpensive too which makes an easy add on to help make it look just that much better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. OP
    OP
    PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

We really only use the 'bread and butter' type of perennials that are usually in the shade house at the nursery. So it's not too hard to get into using them. There are SO many perennials that I have no idea about!! But those are usually the once you don't want to be using around a typical "mid west" styled landscape where the customer just wants it too look nice. Not too complex, in other words.

You also have to be careful to not leave huge open areas in the winter, once everything dies back. Can't leave the landscape too boring in certain sections.

5. PLLandscape

For sure. I just need more "dimension" to my installs and I think perennials can do that. Surely need to install with a mix of plants to avoid what you describe in the winter. Although that is where my shade garden is at the moment. Bed, rocks, logs. All are perennials. But it's just a side bed for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Your work is awesome, I'm going to have to go through your thread here soon. I really like your install work, I agree with PL, your work is very nice. Keep up the great work. The plants you use in your install are very nice as well, alot of variety also.

7. MadMax05

MadMax05 LawnSite Member

Just went through the whole thread, inspiring! A bit different from landscaping here in the Pacific Northwest ( as far as plants go) but much is the same as well. i read that you used bagged rubber mulch on one of your jobs, im guessing usually get natural mulch by the yard from a good source? its hard to track down good soils and mulch around here because of all the moisture and invasive plant species.

great looking work, and by far the best thread ive read on this site.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Your plant jobs are just very pleasing to the eye :waving:

9. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

So what happened to PerfectEarth? I really enjoyed the pictures of his excellent work.

10. PLLandscape

instagram and facebook. Many have left to pursue these.

Darryl G likes this.