Perma Green Magnum?

grassyfras

LawnSite Bronze Member
Found a nice Permagreen Magnum with less than 500 hours that looks in good shape for 3k. I'm thinking about buying it even though I don't have enough accounts yet to justify it. I'm hoping to grow the business and do 5k-1 acre properties with it. I'm mostly worried about if it is "too big" to do my smaller lawns that sometimes have a lot of mulch beds. My other concern is the low volume that the sprayer puts out. I think its rated for 30 ounces per 1k. Seems like I could have a greater chance of burning lawns when the weather gets closer to 85-90 degrees.

I think I would jump on this if I could get it a little cheaper. What do you guys think?

I thought about getting a skid but a ride-on seems easier to store and transport with my situation(everything is in my garage at home and already have a big trailer with enough room when running my lawn mowing route)

Also I found some old threads about some guys putting on a different sprayer for more volume. I think this would be a good idea and maybe make it so I can spot spray with it.

Just looking for input.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Should work OK. No need to tweak the spray volume. It is well-tested at the volume they use. Hooking up a spray wand should be easy. After a few days you will be able to turn it around in a 10 foot driveway--small lawns work out OK. We used a skid sprayer on lawns 8000 and up, but if you don't have a skid sprayer, 5000 and up would work fine. Use a back pack and push spreader for lawns under 5000. My neighbors have lawns that are both done by a company that uses PG Magnums, both are about 6,000 sqft.

rcreech

Sponsor
PG can be used on any size of lawn from 1K to 100+acres.

You picked a good starter machine!

Good Luck!

We loved ours and when you are looking to update it there is a better machine that is identical to a PG called a Ground Logic.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Should work OK. No need to tweak the spray volume. It is well-tested at the volume they use. Hooking up a spray wand should be easy. After a few days you will be able to turn it around in a 10 foot driveway--small lawns work out OK. We used a skid sprayer on lawns 8000 and up, but if you don't have a skid sprayer, 5000 and up would work fine. Use a back pack and push spreader for lawns under 5000. My neighbors have lawns that are both done by a company that uses PG Magnums, both are about 6,000 sqft.
This is right on. OP, I bought a Magnum last season for use on all of my lawns apprx 4K on up (smaller lawns I could cover with a 4 gal backpack at 1 gal/K, + a push spreader). It worked pretty well and weed control was quite good.
I only ran 60 accts last season so don't worry about not having enough biz for it you will trust me. At $3K, with a sound transmission, etc - that PG looks like a good price.

If you make this move and avoid a skid, will be best move you ever made.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Sorry to add a sour note...read a few hundred old posts about the Magnum. There is a slight tendency for corrosion to eat away at the underside of the aluminum crankcase of the Honda motor. Be sure it has the spacer kit that allows you to rinse underneath the motor. Likewise the transmissions are sometimes damaged by fertilizer collecting on top of the tranny's cooling fins; corrosion can eat through. Check that.

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
I'll add that 500 hours on a permagreen is quite a lot honestly... Riggle is right on about the corrosion potential.

2,500 to 3,000 isn't terrible though assuming it's in good shape. I like mine and it's ability to fold down the handle to buzz under low limbs or to hop off the back to climb hills. Not a feature any of the other brands offer!

Calibration is king with ULV applications. Don't trust what someone says the output is, calibrate and be sure. A few ounces off either way doesn't sound like much but it can make the difference between decent weed control and marginal, or decent and burning the tips...

The magnums can really be used on any turf area big enough to get it on. Spraying in tight areas around landscape plants is sketchy though.

Having a nurse tank set up to fill the PG 'in the field' is the ticket too. I use my 100 gallon skid sprayer to hold 30 or 40 gallons of mix and a 10' hose to fill the PG tank as needed. Better than mixing in the field or having to go home every time the little tank is empty!

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
I bought a used PG last spring just starting out. I use that along with my back packs and, push spreader. I also thought about the skid but just liked being able to ride and save my legs and wind. I second what the others have said and, I am very happy with my machine and how it performs. Just look it all over. It's not new and if you know anything about equipment and how to do some repairs you will be fine. Be sure to calibrate it. If the owners manual does not come with it I think you can down load one. Good Luck !!

rcreech

Sponsor
I agree that this machine has several more hours then a new one...but for starting out I think it makes more sense to buy a older model with hours at a good price.

When you are smaller you can take the time to work on them if needed and can put parts in them and still be ahead IMO.

If you could buy that machine and it is in good shape and say the Transaxle goes out you have an awesome machine that very little else can go wrong.

Example:

Used Machine $2500 + Transaxle $900 = $3400 total
New Machine = $7300

Now for us that minutes means dollars I would never buy a new machine because we CAN NOT afford down time!

Guess it just depends on your situation...but I would not at all be afraid of buying a used Magnum!

Good Luck

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
A trick I learned here. Wax the spreader hopper with car wax--fert flows smoothly. Wax other areas to prevent fert from sticking. It may take a few tries to get the pattern adjustment even. You may wish to go back and forth...OR...you may wish to go around the lawn in the square corkscrew pattern.