• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Permagreen Magnum-Right Wheel Won't Turn

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
Just went to do some work on my Permagreen. The right wheel will not turn. It was in cold storage all winter. It was working when I put it away last Dec. Anybody else run into this. I have a call into Permagreen.

OP
G

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
I got a quick call back from Permagreen. The axle had rusted. I was told I would need a new transmission if I could not free it. I was able to free it with BP blaster and a pipe wrench. Permagreen is sending some grease fittings to be installed. The new machines have them. Mine machine has 475 hours. I will be installing them in the machine I bought last year also. The grease should help keep moisture and rust out.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had the same thing happen, only it was my left wheel. I put a new trans axle on ($600) wish I would have tried the PB and pipe wrench!

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
What models are you guys talking about?????????

OP
G

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
Mine are both Magnums. I am not real mechanical. Why would replacing the trany solve this problem. That was the recommendation from Permagreen.

Harley-D

LawnSite Senior Member
Just putting a 6 thousand dollar piece of equip away for the winter doesn't cut it. I suggest reading the recommendations on the owners manuel for oil changes too. Maybe grease it once or twice a year-sarcasm. I can't believe it didn't have grease fittings!

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Seriously.

Wasted time=wasted money. IMO

OP
G

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
Harley-D, you are right. My routine maintenance is the machine gets washed every day. Once a week the shields come off, machine is washed and greased. Every 25 hours engine and transmission oil gets changed and cables get lightly greased. After the last time it was used last fall oils were changed, it was washed, and greased. It was put away in good working order. Over winter the axle rusted. This was because of a design problem not a lack of maintenance. The machine does have 475 hours in two years. Most of those were put on in the first year. New magnums I was told have grease fittings in the axle to prevent this problem, but only if they are greased. I got the fittings to be installed yesterday.