permagreen magnum third hole setting

moyer93

LawnSite Member
where do most of you guys set the adjustable third hole setting for even pattern i know it depends on product but i figured there was a overall common setting

rcreech

Sponsor
where do most of you guys set the adjustable third hole setting for even pattern i know it depends on product but i figured there was a overall common setting
Nope.

You will just have to adjust accordingly.

Every machine is different and it can even change with different products.

I will tell you the way that we get our spreaders "lined up". Some may disagree with it...but it has worked for me since I have started.

Just go out on an area with bare soil and let the machine sit in neutral.

Open the hopper at full RPM's and let it run for about 10-15 seconds and you will see if your pattern is throwing to one side or the other.

Adjust settings and repeat until you zero in on the "sweet spot".

We actually have a composting area that we use so after we are done we just push the fertilizer up into the compost pile.

Works great!

plc87

LawnSite Member
I had a third hole setting problem earlier last year and striped a couple. Bad calibration on my part, had it shut too much. Now I basically just keep it the same gap as how I have the other two set and no problem anymore. I tried screwing around with calibrating the way permagreen says too but it was a waste of time I thought. The biggest thing is to keep it 7 foot from center of pass to center of pass.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
Lesco spreaders are famous for throwing hard to the right. The way you can compensated for that is to run in a counter clockwise circular pattern.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to have a PG Ultra. Which hole do you mean when you say "Third hole"? Far left hole?
If so, I am thinking it is the hole with a cable control. It is the hole that you close off on the fly to reduce or stop flow to the right when using the edge deflector chute.

On my machine, the pattern adjustment was changed by loosening the knob underneath and partially closing off the right hole.(Which controls flow of particles to the left.) I used to close it to about 1-eighth inch less than full open.

I used an eleven foot swath--calculated center to center. When spraying liquid I reduced it to 10 feet, center to center.

OP
M

moyer93

LawnSite Member
i do like going in circles but sometimes its so hard to see your lines by the time you get back to your next pass also when you get to the middle of the lawn you almost always have a pass left that will have your heavy side on its self right on right and left on left

OP
M

moyer93

LawnSite Member
when i want to go back and forth it just seems like, know matter how much i fool with the third hole setting it never seems like a even pattern

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Remember under conditions of low humidity and cold weather, the granules are hard and bounce like a new golf ball, particularly sulfur coat, XCU and plastic-coated granules.

In the summer during hot humid conditions urea particles are softer and may get a bit gummy. They will behave different. Common for residue to build up on the impeller.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Use a counter-clockwise pattern for the dry material, and you get a perfect, even application every time. Just line your right throw to hit the center of wheel tracks of the last pass. This will be a perfectly layered ap. that is why I love the 3 hole design. I don't care what anyone says, the one hole designs ALWAYS throw heavy to the center, no matter how they are adjusted. This is why if I was going to order a Z-Spray, I would have it built with a Lesco hopper.