Lawn Care Forum banner

Permagreen triumph newb: formulations needed

9K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  grassrat 
#1 ·
So 12 hours ago my boss shows up with a triumph yesterday out of the blue and says figure this out and leaves. I've been tank spraying for ten years but know nothing about ride ons. we maintain 80+ commercial accounts and have always used granular for pre and fert and tanks for post I'm lookin for a few tips, what nozzles to use for post apps and mix/ formulation for mainly 3/way q/4 drive Celsius etc I've searched here but found little, I'm a planner, I like to do my research and compare so maybe we needed the z instead I don't know and if you say just read the label then fair enough because I've always paid no mind to low volume mixing thanks any links and quick tip list would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Not trying to be harsh but...

Read the instructions on calibrations first. Next read the sprayer operation part.

Do not take that machine out and use it without reading directions, and don't take machine out based on any replies or help on this forum until you have read instructions.

Your first application on a lawn should be water.

Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out with it once you have checked calibration, set nozzle angles and did a "dry run" with water (pun intended). I'll even give you my phone number so you can call me.

It's a great machine, but if you are not the type to read instructions it isn't the machine for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 · (Edited)
I'll create a cheat sheet for a common chemical list once you are comfortable with the operation. If you plan to use your big tank for agitation I'll create one for that as well. I suggest the UGA turf management application for your phone if you have iPhone.

Also make sure your smart steering is working or you will want to drive the machine off a cliff and jump off right before it goes over...
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
10-4 will do, says it will do 1 acre off 12 gallons but I've been measuring off all morning a parking lot and spraying trying to dial in the trim and wide patterns and yes I have an iPhone so I'll look into that app as well thanks for the info
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
If you are getting 48,000 sqft per tank that is 4,000 per gallon or .25 gallon per thousand.
If you are using Speedzone at the low rate of 1.1 ounce per thousand that would be 4.4 ounces per gallon or 26.4 ounces in each of the two 6 gallon tanks. Print a fill chart with Excel, cover with plastic and tape it to the inside of your truck.

Center to center, the 7 foot swath seems too narrow to me. Only 63 percent as wide as a hand spreader swath. The turning radius is bigger than that. The fert can be thrown 11 feet wide. In practice, I think most of us use a wider swath. At 7 foot center to center swath--at 4 mph--you only cover 2464 sqft per minute.

That would mean you are pumping .62 gallons per minute (78 ounces).

This cannot be right. More likely, 7 feet is probably the distance to the previous wheel track.
How about showing us a photo of the water pattern on cement? How wide?

#8 ·
If you are getting 48,000 sqft per tank that is 4,000 per gallon or .25 gallon per thousand.
If you are using Speedzone at the low rate of 1.1 ounce per thousand that would be 4.4 ounces per gallon or 26.4 ounces in each of the two 6 gallon tanks. Print a fill chart with Excel, cover with plastic and tape it to the inside of your truck.

Center to center, the 7 foot swath seems too narrow to me. Only 63 percent as wide as a hand spreader swath. The turning radius is bigger than that. The fert can be thrown 11 feet wide. In practice, I think most of us use a wider swath. At 7 foot center to center swath--at 4 mph--you only cover 2464 sqft per minute.

That would mean you are pumping .62 gallons per minute (78 ounces).

This cannot be right. More likely, 7 feet is probably the distance to the previous wheel track.
How about showing us a photo of the water pattern on cement? How wide?
I will confirm:

7' center to center...3.5mph lo and 5mph hi
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Sorry I was vague they the manual said that was effective spray width Spread width w/ overlap 7 ft
Trim width 6 ft
Broadcast pattern 11 ft
At high gear 5 mph @ 20 seconds = 143 ft x7 = 1001 was there example = 1/4 gallon (32oz)
Low speed 3.5 mph@ 20 seconds 22 oz
So for example- standard rate 1oz per 1000 = 4 oz per gallon of mixture based on the constant that motor is @3450 rpm and 12 psi tires
So all that's clear not sure about this smart
steer brake assist steering is it on ? Always ?how do you apply it effectively ?
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 · (Edited)
Revising my figures to 5mph.
5 times 88 feet per minute is 440 feet. Times 7 feet wide equals 3080 sqft per minute. At .25 gal per thousand sqft that would be .77 gal per minute. (98.6 ounces) for solution output at the nozzle. Use a measuring jug and confirm this.

If you spray at center to center 7 feet wide, and the machine is 3 feet wide, your wheel to wheel tracks are only 4 feet apart. And naturally you need to spray only 2 feet beyond the machine on each side, (and a bit more to provide overlap.) Can you show us a photo of the spray pattern of water on concrete? What width does your tape measure show?

Your fertilizer would be thrown too far, too much overlap, it seems to me.

Click my name and refer to the pattern on concrete from my Permagreen Ultra in my photographs. Ultra was sold 2 years ago.

Photo set "PG Ultra and sprayer." The magnetic signs "Just say no to crabgrass" are still for sale.

#12 ·
One of the great unknowns is the pressure output of the pump--there is no pressure gauge. Remember the Permagreen is set up with a constant pressure valve that limits it to 10 psi. Rather low. But what if the pump only puts out 7 psi?

I suggest install a pressure gauge. And maybe a pressure regulator so you can dial up if you want to.

#14 ·
In 20 seconds 143 ft linear feet x 7 wide (" effective widths pray path")= 32 oz high flow p/1000 sq , not 88 linear ft if that makes a difference to you I'll definitely get a measurement and post pics. Looks like there are some variations between the manual and the field when it comes to the mag I noticed on apost I saw today I hope that is not the case here sounds like a lot of
Variables to a constant! well thanks again I feel better already.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
I didn't explain myself. 1 mph equals 5280 divided by 60 equals 88 feet per minute.
5 mph times 88 equals 440 linear feet per minute. At 7 feet wide that is 3080 sqft per minute. Which is the sqft covered per minute. Your liquid output must be .25 times 3.080, or .77 gallon per minute, (98.56 ounces per minute).

Does anybody else care to comment on spray width? What is the width you use in practice? Do you use an 11 foot pattern when spreading and a 7 foot width when spraying? Then what do you do when spreading and spraying at the same time?

Of course, in tall grass or uphill the 5 mph speed will not be exact. Speed on grass should be slightly slower than on pavement.

#16 ·
I didn't explain myself. 1 mph equals 5280 divided by 60 equals 88 feet per minute.
5 mph times 88 equals 440 linear feet per minute. At 7 feet wide that is 3080 sqft per minute. Which is the sqft covered per minute. Your liquid output must be .25 times 3.080, or .77 gallon per minute, (98.56 ounces per minute).

Does anybody else care to comment on spray width? What is the width you use in practice? Do you use an 11 foot pattern when spreading and a 7 foot width when spraying? Then what do you do when spreading and spraying at the same time?

Of course, in tall grass or uphill the 5 mph speed will not be exact. Speed on grass should be slightly slower than on pavement.
The PG manual talks about spread and spray pattern...spread is wider but it's thinner too.
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
I never used a swath width so narrow as 7 feet center to center. You cannot turn the machine around in a 7 foot circle as you get to the end of the swath. I have watched a few other companies, sometimes measuring the swath after they left. The average is more than 7 feet for sure.
I think Permagreen is measuring to the next wheel track.

PG guys, how wide is the spray pattern? Wetted on concrete?

#20 ·
after some fine tuning of nozzle body i finally got a decent spread width somewhere between 10-11 ft a drenching at 8-10 and dribbles at 10-11 but man we do a lot of road frontages that you either have to backpack or pull a lot of hose parking the truck on the roads isn't an option so the ride on has been great not very comfortable/ convinced on the coverage/ surface area from the droplets size of the wide pattern but the trim is awesome on devil strips we are done with round 1 so I've yet to put any material in the hopper sounds like there is an issue w/ the 3 hole and the flattened hopper bottom either way the only thing that was sore yesterday was my arms from turning does anyone one have any ideas or mods they have done for transporting I'm currently using a 16 ft tandem trailer behind a f-250 bulky and overkill i know but we typically use a beavertail/dovetail for maintenance so we only have a that trailer and asked steer trailer pics ideas would be great where are your tie down points thanks for everyones input issues uploading pics will add tonight file must be to large

#22 ·
I got a solid 10ft on spray in concrete and some dribbles beyond that to get my 11 ft confirmed this morning had to make sure my rpms were at 3450 from the factory they were 2950 so I'll post pics later today
Posted via Mobile Device
My PG was also below the recommended RPM's. I adjusted the throttle cable to get it up to the recommended RPM's. That was much easier for me to calibrate using the manual as my guide. I'm much closer now than before. Still not spraying what they say I should be but pretty close. Mine is a Magnum.

#23 ·
If you travel 5 mph, that would equal 440 feet per minute. At 10 feet wide you are covering 4400 sqft per minute. So 4.4K times .25 gallons, means you need to spray at a volume of 1.1 gallons per minute. Catch the flow for one minute to get 141 ounces per minute.

At one ounce per thousand you need 48 ounces Trimec per 12 gal tank. Better to use the 1.5 ounce rate and use 72 ounces per 12 gal tank. Add a bit of surfactant (around 7 ounces per 12 gallon) for best results.

Naturally, you have to cut the herbicide in half for each 6 gal tank on the Triumph.

#24 ·
And going with what said...do not add herbicide to empty tanks...and your herbicide is part of your total gallons.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Results are great, already got some wilt from mondays spray backed off to 42 oz today from 48 oz today was 82 with record high tomorrow of 84 think I got this thing dialed in as far as technique and mixing thanks Chris and Riggle
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
You are welcome grassrat...sorry I didnt call you back yesterday evening...I've been swamped!
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.