• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Pest Control Insurance

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
For those of you that do pest control as well as lawn care, how much extra do you pay for your insurance?

I have passed our state's household and rodent pest control exam, and I plan on adding these services this season. As of now, I only have a handful of customers committed to the pest service. My insurance is going to go from $650 to $2500 a year. Right now, I don't have enough customers to warrant the jump.

These numbers are based on revenues, etc., so I know it is impossible to compare. But, this seems steep to me. Anyone willing to share what they pay for similar insurance?

If it helps, I estimated that revenue from the pest control would be 10% of total revenue (which is probably way too high).

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
For those of you that do pest control as well as lawn care, how much extra do you pay for your insurance?

I have passed our state's household and rodent pest control exam, and I plan on adding these services this season. As of now, I only have a handful of customers committed to the pest service. My insurance is going to go from $650 to $2500 a year. Right now, I don't have enough customers to warrant the jump.

These numbers are based on revenues, etc., so I know it is impossible to compare. But, this seems steep to me. Anyone willing to share what they pay for similar insurance?

If it helps, I estimated that revenue from the pest control would be 10% of total revenue (which is probably way too high).
Turf

Thomco is the main writer of Pest Control Insurance. Try and find a Local independ Agent who handle Thomco. The price you are getting quoted is a Rip Off.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you doing inside pest control, or just perimeter? Either way, that seems very high! I'm PMing you my agents info.........

BearWise Landscapers

LawnSite Senior Member
For pest control guys in Florida, there is a jump in premium when they add those services, but 2500 seems very high to me too. I also recommend that you contact an independent insurance agent.

Let me know if you have any questions about the coverages or if I can help you compare quotes or provide other insurance information.

OP
T

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
For pest control guys in Florida, there is a jump in premium when they add those services, but 2500 seems very high to me too. I also recommend that you contact an independent insurance agent.

Let me know if you have any questions about the coverages or if I can help you compare quotes or provide other insurance information.
Thanks BearWise. I appreciate that!!

Thanks Liberty. I talked with Matt and got a quote. about half of the quote from my provider. just not sure if I am comparing apples to apples.

your guy quoted a policy that was 1Mil/0.5mil. And, no where on it did it say pest control. He assured me that the Pollution coverage would suffice, but I just don't know. My current provider quoted a 2mil/1mil policy.

Any advice on this Bear?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Liberty. I talked with Matt and got a quote. about half of the quote from my provider. just not sure if I am comparing apples to apples.

your guy quoted a policy that was 1Mil/0.5mil. And, no where on it did it say pest control. He assured me that the Pollution coverage would suffice, but I just don't know. My current provider quoted a 2mil/1mil policy.

Any advice on this Bear?
Mine is 2mil/1 mil Are you planning on inside pest control?

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Mine is 2mil/1 mil Are you planning on inside pest control?
If you are doing any Section 8 housing pest control they require 2M/1M coverage. Some contracts require Bonding.

BearWise Landscapers

LawnSite Senior Member

Any advice on this Bear?
Turf Doctor,

I would have to see the quotes to tell if there was a difference in coverage. I would ask your agent what the change in premium is to move from 1,000,000 in coverage for the policy to 2,000,000 for the policy. It is usually less than 5%, so it may only change the premium by 50 dollars and would be worth it with some of the crazy lawsuits these days.

Feel free to give me a call or fax the quotes to me if you would like me to talk them through with you. You can find my contact information here.

If the other quote is through Thomco, then you should be appropriately covered if your agent rated it correctly. They have a good reputation in the industry.

I am on these forums to help, so feel free to take advantage. I look forward to hearing from you.