1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Pesterside and weed control License

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfman33, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. turfman33

    turfman33 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 226

    I have been doing a fair bit of research here in Florida on getting my License for weed and pest control. They say I have to work for a company for three years before I can do the exam and get the license. well, I own and operate my own lawn care business so how they expect me to work for somebody I don't know. I'm building the buisness and I'm not just going to give it up.

    Anybody have any advise on this. Point me in the right dirction. They tell me here that I can't even put down Weed and Feed due to the Atrazine. Is this a National Law or just State to State.


  2. greenman

    greenman LawnSite Addict
    Messages: 1,405

    Pesterside. LMAO! Sorry,couldn't resist.:D
  3. turfman33

    turfman33 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 226


    Pesticide, That should take care of the goof;)

  4. walker-talker

    walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 4,771

    State law. Here in Kansas they charge you $15 for 3 books to prepare you for the test. I read through them once and then crammed for about an hour before the test and passed just fine.
    If I am not mistaken, NY is pretty tough to get certified.
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Certified is one thing,- licensed is another. Here in Michigan, you have to be certified for not less than 2 years, with both those years experienced working for a licensed co.. If not, a 4 year degree in any horticultural field is acceptable.
  6. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    To answer your question, label laws are both state and federal.
    Active ingredients registered for use in that state are obviously state laws.
    Methods of application, personal protective equipment (ppe) use, reentry times, mode of application, are federal laws.
    I cannot answer your other question about minimum experience apprenticeships, other to say, why not try working on a local golf course part time doing applications? Typically, it is the golf course superintendent who has the necessary licensing - may be he/she might help you?
  7. walker-talker

    walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 4,771

    After getting certified, getting licensed is the easy part. Go get insurance and then pay for business license......here in KS anyway.
  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    It used to be that way here in Michigan, too.
  9. azturfpro

    azturfpro LawnSite Member
    from arizona
    Messages: 57

    In Arizona you hire a qualifying party to license your company until you have the needeed experience to take the test . You need 2000 hours in each category you are seeking a license in and must be certified for two years to become a qp .

Share This Page