pesticide cert questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by abclawncare, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. abclawncare

    abclawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    im looking at getting started to apply fert and pesticides as a add on to my company. ive been reading many threads about this and found out that i think i need to have 2 years exp. working with a licenced company before i can apply comercialy or have a bach. degree in turf managment and one year exp. is this correct for s.e.mich. adn if so is there any way that any of you have heard about to get it without working for someone else because that would realy suck.
  2. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Actually, they changed it...It is now a bachelor degree AND 1 year experience in the field. With a bachelor (BS) degree, you do a year of practicals, anyway.
    you can also hire a full tie licensed applicator that has two years experience (not a certified technician - has to be an actual applicator). With this, you can apply for a license.
  3. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Holy crap! You have to have a BS degree AND field experience just to get a license of your own! Wow, and I thought Knasas was strict with their requirements... Here I don't think you even have to have a high school education. If you get out of bed one day and decide you want to get a license all you have to do is obtain the study books, spend some time reading and learning and then find a testing time. If you pass with at least an 80%, congratulations! You can now apply anything and everything legally.
  4. ted putnam

    ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,704

    Same here in Arkansas. Something else some of these Bozo's pull is to have their wife take the test and work under their wife's license. I guess there's more than 1 way to skin a government agency. I've seen some real knuckledraggers when I've been buying supplies...
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    LOL...Now hold on,...the BS degree isn't an only needed requirement,...that is just ONE way of acquiring it. It is actually possible to get a license and not even have a HS diploma. There is one more criteria option to acquire a license, and that is to have two years working experience as a certified applicator or a registered technician.
  6. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,674

    Michigan is really stupid about that experience requirement. Probably some big company influenced the dept of Ag to do that--to reduce competition. Call the Dept of ag and try to reson with them. Explain that you have a lot of experience taking care of your own lawn or parent's lawn for 30 years. They want a notorized "Statement of Experience" of course. Don't give up--call your state congressman--maybe he can grease the wheels.
  7. abclawncare

    abclawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    thanks for the info i thought by what i was reading in other posts i was right. you guys haven`t heard of any one abtaining a license by calling the dept. of ag and explaining about work experiance?
  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    No. I have heard of several that have tried, as a matter of fact, I KNOW of some - even around here that have tried, and they (DOA) won't budge. It is probably their conclusion that the less, the better, I think.
  9. abclawncare

    abclawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 56

    Thanks for the info runner, i`m going to take my time through the year to learn all that i have to, theres alot more here to read and retain than i thought and i`m going to try to find someone to help me get the work exp.

Share This Page