Pesticide Education

ctvalley

LawnSite Member
As I grow in the industry I am realizing there is so much more to learn.

My question is are there any good online courses, books, or other sources that anyone would recommend. I understand basics, but I want my lawns to be THE BEST! so I can pull my clients away from Nationals that just don't care about the lawns.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
Check with your local DEP or whatever government agency that regulates pesticide applicators in MA. for a list of courses. Some may be online, I would bet that 99% require you to attend in person. A book is Managing Turfgrass Pest by Thomas Watschke.

gcbailey

LawnSite Gold Member
Having just started down this road myself in the past year or so, I'd strongly suggest...

1. Getting in touch with your state AG dept.
2. Check out Purdue's IPM course. It's probably one of the best in the nation.

But remember that for any type of herbicide application, as far as I know in any state, you have to get certified. As a contractor you can't legally apply RoundUp, Scotts, or anything that a homeowner or yourself can purchase off the shelf at Lowe's. I know in WV and VA the only thing you can apply legally without a license in fertilizer only, nothing with any herbicides/pesticides.

The thing that I've found is a lot of the online courses are mostly facts, policies and procedures. Which is extremely good, but places like Lawnsite are where you go to get answers about "real world" situations.

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Congratulations on being interested and asking the question. There is more each of us can learn; I try to learn something new every day whether it is here on LS, a technical article, or in the field. This program at UMass Amherst looks very good.

I graduated from DA near you. I was there 3 years and feel fortunate to have been exposed to that part of the country.

fl-landscapes

LawnSite Silver Member
Congratulations on being interested and asking the question. There is more each of us can learn; I try to learn something new every day whether it is here on LS, a technical article, or in the field. This program at UMass Amherst looks very good.

I graduated from DA near you. I was there 3 years and feel fortunate to have been exposed to that part of the country.

I always thought that program looked really great. Years ago I took a couple turf classes (workshops) at UMass Amherst, great hort school.

jwaddill

LawnSite Member
Having just started down this road myself in the past year or so, I'd strongly suggest...

1. Getting in touch with your state AG dept.
2. Check out Purdue's IPM course. It's probably one of the best in the nation.

But remember that for any type of herbicide application, as far as I know in any state, you have to get certified. As a contractor you can't legally apply RoundUp, Scotts, or anything that a homeowner or yourself can purchase off the shelf at Lowe's. I know in WV and VA the only thing you can apply legally without a license in fertilizer only, nothing with any herbicides/pesticides.

The thing that I've found is a lot of the online courses are mostly facts, policies and procedures. Which is extremely good, but places like Lawnsite are where you go to get answers about "real world" situations.

I was told by my local dealer that you do have to have a fertilizer license and a pesticide license. this is in va beach, va. Most people dont get the fertilizer license though.

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
OP
C

ctvalley

LawnSite Member
Thanks for all the responses thus far guys....
A little background:

I do have my MA pesticide license. Took the workshop in January and passed the exam a week later. Not that bad if you study.

My biggest thing is that I have the basics down. General weed Id, funus id, etc. I have my program that I apply. It has been some trial and error. Most errors are trying ferts from certain companies and then realizing that it is missing something that the customers notice.

For example, I got a few people that said to me, "I see the weeds are gone, but the grass just isn't green like I want it." There are three major distributors of fertilizer in my area. I found one that included 2% iron, tried it on a couple of lawns and had incredible results. I believe it was an 18-0-4

The one I had been using previous was 18-0-0 without iron.

it's the technical stuff like do most people use Quinclorac or Quincept? Both made from Nufarm, but different percentages of certain ingredients.

gcbailey

LawnSite Gold Member
I was told by my local dealer that you do have to have a fertilizer license and a pesticide license. this is in va beach, va. Most people dont get the fertilizer license though.

I didn't not know this. My license is in WV and I have a reciprocal VA license. I'll have to look into it.

Top Forums