Pesticide in Michigan

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hallk1234, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. hallk1234

    hallk1234 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I have a question regarding the application of pesticide. My father owns a landscaping business of his own that is very small and for the past two years I have been one of his few employees. His business is limited to mowing grass and snow plowing. I would like to expand his business into fertilization and pesticide application. I am currently working towards receiving my certification as a pesticide applicator. This is where I am uncertain about how everything works. I am going to basically own the fertilization part of the business but I will be working under my father. Is he going to need to be a licensed business in order to hire me as an applicator. I ask this because according to my fathers insurance I am basically an owner of the business and I am not even covered under his worker's compensation policy because I am a family member and considered to be an owner of the business.

    If somebody can make some sense of my situation and write me back with some suggestions I would appreciate it very much
  2. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    He will have to hire a licensed applicator with atleast either a. 2 years proven experience (in each of the categories being applied for) as a certified applicator with a licensed firm, or b. somoeone with a bachelor (4 year) degree in agronomy, turf management, or some other agricultural related field (approved by MDA) AND atleast 1 year experience working (in each of the categories being applied for) as a certified applicator with a licensed firm. This is done through the license application process by providing a form that states the experience, and companie(s) worked for, and dates. This is then sworn and notarized, and sent in with the application packet.
  3. Otownlost

    Otownlost LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    And anyone else who is looking for pesticide rules and laws. click on the link and select your state.

    This site will direct you to your state's regulatory agency.

Share This Page