1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Pesticide license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newbie35, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. newbie35

    newbie35 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    I just got off the phone with our state department inquiring about a license. The requirements for a certified operator are 4 months of field experience or 2 college credits and a month of experience. I have neither... business degree. They told me I could put down my experience to qualify me? I don't have any experience applying pesticides mostly mowing and fert. You don't need a license to do that here. I don't get it you need experience but how am I to get experience when I don't work for anyone. :confused: According to them though they will qualify me based on my experience... What do you guys think? I don't understand how I qualify if I don't have experience:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :clapping: Got to love government!!:laugh:
  2. grassmanak

    grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 792

    you only put down fert, do you offer 5 or 7 step programs, here it is a test, have to get 70% or better on it to pass. cost is 90 bucks for 3 years.
  3. JoeinJasper

    JoeinJasper LawnSite Member
    Messages: 173

    Check with your county agent to see if they offer any continuing education classes, or if you have a local technical college that offers horticulture classes.
  4. newbie35

    newbie35 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    yeah it is a test but they "require" the time in the field to take the test. At least according to the state office they will let me take the test if I can prove I have experience. I don't understand why they even have "requirements" if they will let you take it without meeting the criteria. I do a 5 step fert program.:hammerhead: I just can't get over how no one knows what is really going on at the state level with any of this. :dizzy:
  5. CA CLT

    CA CLT LawnSite Member
    Messages: 61

    Just like a C27 Contractors License in California. They tell you you need 4 years experience, but your working illegally for yourself will qualify. It makes no sense.
  6. newbie35

    newbie35 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    That's the thing I have honestly not applied any pesticides except at a bank which my family owns so I don't really have a working relationship but ownership of the place. I have applied pesticide in California for my families farm orchard so I guess I will be putting this down as my "experience". It was just a little different shooting chemicals up 60-80 ft in the air for walnuts but if it counts it counts I guess. :)

Share This Page