Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received my study materials for the pesticide licensing exam which I'm scheduled to take in November.Man,that's ALOT of material!!The lady I spoke with(at Clemson U.) told me I needed to take the 'core' and 'category 3' sections.Is this correct?Also,how difficult is the exam?I have 2 pretty good-sized (around 180 pages each)study manuals.For those of you who have taken the test,are the questions relatively general ones or do I basiclly need to memorize these manuals?Fortunately,I have 6 weeks to prepare for it.Thanks in advance.
Jim

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Read the test questions at the end of each chapter. Most of the test questions are the same as the one's at the end of the chapters.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm taking my test October 1. The general section material seems straight forward and I feel pretty confident about that part, but the Turf & Ornamentals part is all over the place in the GA book. No review questions and I have very little idea what they expect you to know. Anyone ever taken the GA test?

· Registered
1,039 Posts
GerogiaGrassMan- I took the test last year there will be 200 questions first 100 easy second 100 study study and study some more i had to take the second part on T&O again. give me a call 706 858 0875 if i can help you.

· Registered
303 Posts
I took the NC test and passed with an 87/100 without even BUYING the materials. I read a lot on Lawnsite, scanned the web for test questions and used a lot of common sense. I'm sure the 13 I missed were mainly from the "knowledge" section- ie where it asks what kills what and other laws. As far as the other stuff like safety, and calculations- I thought it was cake.

Heck- 15 questions or so was on READING A LABEL!!!!

Keep in mind I'm a CPA full time and this was just to be able to shop at Lesco- I don't do applications for anyone else.

Oh yeh- we have to pass a pretty hard exam too- less than 15% pass and it took me 3 times.

Good luck man! Don't get nervous and use process of elimination. It worked for me. Look at the 4 choices and eliminate one. Then read the question again and try to eliminate one more. If you have to guess you now have a 50% chance instead of 25%.

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Originally posted by heybruck34

Oh yeh- we have to pass a pretty hard exam too- less than 15% pass and it took me 3 times.
In CT, if I remember correctly, if you fail the oral twice, you have to re-take the written. For the oral, you sit in fron of 4 or 5 master gardeners and are fair game. There is no bull.......allowed.

· Banned
13,159 Posts
its multiple choice. a, b, or c? what is the correct answer? even if u close your eyes and check off an answer, u still have a 33% chance of passing. feelin lucky ?

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
its multiple choice. a, b, or c? what is the correct answer? even if u close your eyes and check off an answer, u still have a 33% chance of passing. feelin lucky ?
See, CT must be different. Some questions have multiple right answers, and if you do not get them all, then the question is wrong. This takes out all the non studying guessers.

· Registered
157 Posts
Well I took the Georgia test yesterday. 100 questions on general standards and 100 questions on ornamental and turf. Results won't be available until next week. I'm pretty sure I passed the general standards part, but I'll have to wait and see on the O&T part. If anyone is going to take this test in Georgia, I would suggest being able to indentify every insect, antropod, weed and parasitic plant disease in the study guide by its description. The study guide is small, but there is not one single part of it that you won't be asked about and the questions are very specific.

· Registered
151 Posts
GeorgiaGrassMan nailed it on the head. I took it at a college in Macon last month and the general standards was pretty much common sense if you've been in the industry for any time at all.
The questions on the O&T part are incredible; things like what insects have sucking mouthparts, sponging, the shape of the tunnels made by certain pine beetles, etc. Spend most of your study time on the small blue book and Good Luck!

· Registered
134 Posts
Hello Grassredneck;

I live in Buford and I take the test Tuesday and have found the blue O&T book not as user friendly as the general standards. I borrowed the tape from GDA which is a help. I'll shift most of my study time to the O&T. Anything else any of you guys can think of to help pass this test?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.