Pesticides and skin absorption when sunblock is applied?

HenryB

LawnSite Bronze Member
This question is for those with some experience maybe there's a dermatologist out there haha. Wondering when I have sunblock on my skin I would think it would repel liquid pesticides but not sure in this heat and Sun that's my routine sunblock every day and then I spray and yes I'm covered with the long sleeves and long pants but it still gets a my hands etc occasionly.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
We are screwed either way imho. Sun exposure and ticks are my combined #1 concern.

I don’t spray but have spent quite a bit of time in the field wearing many other hats.

Time will tell when I’m older. I do whatever I can to prevent too much sun exposure. I didn’t always years back..... large brim hats, cooling towels, face almost covered... humidity is a big factor.

Looks like I’m not the only one worried. Skin cancer, let alone any other cancers is no joke at all.

OP
H

HenryB

LawnSite Bronze Member
We are screwed either way imho. Sun exposure and ticks are my combined #1 concern.

I don’t spray but have spent quite a bit of time in the field wearing many other hats.

Time will tell when I’m older. I do whatever I can to prevent too much sun exposure. I didn’t always years back..... large brim hats, cooling towels, face almost covered... humidity is a big factor.

Looks like I’m not the only one worried. Skin cancer, let alone any other cancers is no joke at all.
I don't worry too much everything you're saying is true but at the same time we're a lot more active and in better physical shape than a lot of people at Indoor jobs

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't worry too much everything you're saying is true but at the same time we're a lot more active and in better physical shape than a lot of people at Indoor jobs
Are you wearing gloves while mixing and applying?

Nrgwave

LawnSite Member
From what I have read and understand permethrin and Bifen are safer then Deet. This is due to the fact it isn’t absorbed by the body like deet. However I have more fear working T-Zone and other 2-4-D based herbices.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
From what I have read and understand permethrin and Bifen are safer then Deet. This is due to the fact it isn’t absorbed by the body like deet. However I have more fear working T-Zone and other 2-4-D based herbices.
They are all absorbed by the skin.
Bifethrin as example in a warm blooded creature is excreted because we have different proteins and endzimes then exto-Skeleton creatures.
Not to say it 100% safe. But has nothing to do if it's absorbed into our skin. Almost all chemicals can be absorbed.