Lawn Care Forum banner

Pesticides and skin absorption when sunblock is applied?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  rlitman 
#1 ·
This question is for those with some experience maybe there's a dermatologist out there haha. Wondering when I have sunblock on my skin I would think it would repel liquid pesticides but not sure in this heat and Sun that's my routine sunblock every day and then I spray and yes I'm covered with the long sleeves and long pants but it still gets a my hands etc occasionly.

#3 ·
We are screwed either way imho. Sun exposure and ticks are my combined #1 concern.

I don’t spray but have spent quite a bit of time in the field wearing many other hats.

Time will tell when I’m older. I do whatever I can to prevent too much sun exposure. I didn’t always years back..... large brim hats, cooling towels, face almost covered... humidity is a big factor.

Looks like I’m not the only one worried. Skin cancer, let alone any other cancers is no joke at all.

#4 ·
We are screwed either way imho. Sun exposure and ticks are my combined #1 concern.

I don't spray but have spent quite a bit of time in the field wearing many other hats.

Time will tell when I'm older. I do whatever I can to prevent too much sun exposure. I didn't always years back..... large brim hats, cooling towels, face almost covered... humidity is a big factor.

Looks like I'm not the only one worried. Skin cancer, let alone any other cancers is no joke at all.
I don't worry too much everything you're saying is true but at the same time we're a lot more active and in better physical shape than a lot of people at Indoor jobs

#10 ·
From what I have read and understand permethrin and Bifen are safer then Deet. This is due to the fact it isn't absorbed by the body like deet. However I have more fear working T-Zone and other 2-4-D based herbices.
They are all absorbed by the skin.
Bifethrin as example in a warm blooded creature is excreted because we have different proteins and endzimes then exto-Skeleton creatures.
Not to say it 100% safe. But has nothing to do if it's absorbed into our skin. Almost all chemicals can be absorbed.

#11 ·
For sun and pesticides a physical barrier is your best bet. IMO, sunscreen is fine for the occasional use situation. You're pasty white and going to be on a boat all day or something and you don't want to be in pain for the next week from a sunburn.

But overall more and more data is showing that though it prevents sunburn, it doesn't do much to prevent skin cancer for people that spend time in the sun. It's creating a false sense of security. It should be viewed more as a burn preventer, not a cancer preventer. Get a bad burn you kind of learn your lesson. Or lessen the burn and spend 10x's as much time out in the sun every year. It's all cumulative.

Some sun is perfectly fine, being in the sun all day will cause issues for some. If I had to be out in the direct sun all day I'd be more inclined to find ways to keep myself shaded thru umbrellas, hats, clothes than sunscreen.

and most sunscreens are absorbed into the skin and I don't envision them doing anything to stop other absorbable compounds from being absorbed either. a mineral based one, the type that actually leaves a mineral barrier on the skin to block suns rays "may" provide some level of protection, but I wouldn't count on it by any means. and those aren't all that common with people anyway.

#15 ·
just don't spray the pesticides on your skin. if you get some on your hands while mixing or whatever go wash your hands right away. you shouldn't be using equipment that is leaking or whatever and spray away from yourself...if you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

i think the biggest problem is you gotta figure out a way to not walk through the areas that you spray. spray to the side instead of in front of yourself as you are walking.

#16 ·
A question for everyone, Where I live and operate we have to have a Professional User number (PU) for anyone who applies pesticides including herbicides professionally. We have to supply proof of this at tendering time failure to do this renders the tender incomplete and null. We also have no insurance if we do not have a PU to apply anything. This course covers proper use of ppe (Personal Protection equipment) application, calibration etc etc etc for both knapsack and boom sprayers ( two different qualifications) I have a degree in Hort, but still had to do this course to be current. Without this PU number you cannot purchase professional grade chemicals. All purchases are allotted to your PU number. We can be audited at any time and will need to have paperwork to account for all chems used and where. Is there anything similar to this where you all work?

#17 ·
In the US anyone can buy most lawn chemicals with little to no oversight. The do have some restrictions to some chemicals but the vast majority of lawn care products can be bought by anyone.

All states require you to be licensed to apply for hire. All licensing requires you to understand how to read the label and follow it's guidance. PPE for every chemicals is listed on the label.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.