Pesticides and wells

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dfor, May 12, 2003.

  1. dfor

    dfor LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 829

    If somebody has a 300' well, how long would it take for any pesticide to even reach the well water. I have no clue, but I would think it would take at least a 5 years. Wouldn't the pesticedes be pretty weak by the time they leached through the soil and ledge. This is not to say that I am not worried about over use. Just wondering. I have a well and still try not to spray all that much. Anybody have any insight on the subject.
  2. GreenQuest Lawn

    GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 822

    (I am not sure of all the specifics as it was a few years ago)

    Michigan State did a study in which they tested the water 10' (I think) under the sports field. They applied pesticides (at the correct rate) and tested the water over a few years and he said only once did they get a reading that was higher than the "safe" level for drinking water, and that was a higher Nitrogen reading.

    It does not take much soil to basically filter out most impurities.

    I would imagine unless you dump a gallon or two and get a monson, a well 300' deep would not be affected.
  3. I agree with Todd, plus by that time there would be nothing left, and most of the cides aren't that worthy of leaching.

    I don't even think the water even goes that far down in the soil.
  4. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    Wells like yours are not recharged from their surface outlet points. So your concern of pesticide leachates from spraying in your own yard by your own well is unfounded.
    Additionally, multiple studies have been done by Penn State, Mich State and Purdue covering runoff and leachates. All state essentially the same - proper application means no measureable runoff/leaching.

Share This Page