Pet safe grass killing

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Question for everyone. I just recently took over a job as a maintenance supervisor at my local Humane Society and part of what I do weekly is go inside the dog pens and trim down all of the grass. Not only is this a pain in the ass because I have to go through the building with my Weedwhacker to get to their areas, but if they miss dog **** I have to tread lightly. It’s supposed to be nothing but sand in there, but over the years whoever was in charge of it prior to just let it get worse and worse with crabgrass coming in from the outside. Does anyone know a pet safe way to kill this grass? I can put dogs in different areas while I take care of one spot at a time. It needs to be safe to let them back into the area within a couple hours though because I can’t shut down parts of the daycare all day long. I’ve included a picture for reference.

And please before you comment about just going in there with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, remember that I have to walk through the building to do this. That’s not really a possibility.

85CDA5A9-C965-41CC-BC47-49A44484706F.jpeg

OP
DSmits1984

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Yeah most products do say they’re safe after drying, but you have to take into consideration that most people that drop their dogs off, and especially employees at a place like this would frown upon some of them.

Is a torch a normal practice? Interesting thought. I’ve never seen that method before. Unfortunately they might frown on that too.

Thing that sucks is that there are a lot of volunteers here, pet health nuts, safety committee etc... it’s just a tough sell.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Yeah most products do say they’re safe after drying, but you have to take into consideration that most people that drop their dogs off, and especially employees at a place like this would frown upon some of them.

Is a torch a normal practice? Interesting thought. I’ve never seen that method before. Unfortunately they might frown on that too.

Thing that sucks is that there are a lot of volunteers here, pet health nuts, safety committee etc... it’s just a tough sell.
No offense but you have to take that into consideration, not us. Nothing about their concerns is relevant to the actual harm a product can cause.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah just torch it. Itll be dead in a few hrs, you dont actually have to fry it.

OP
DSmits1984

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
No offense but you have to take that into consideration, not us. Nothing about their concerns is relevant to the actual harm a product can cause.
I am taking it into consideration. That’s why I was asking for good methods. You’re new to thinking aren’t you?

OP
DSmits1984

DSmits1984

LawnSite Member
Yeah just torch it. Itll be dead in a few hrs, you dont actually have to fry it.
Thank you, with two people saying this, I might test it out. Never tried this method before. Appreciate the feedback from most of you