Pgr on centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, May 17, 2018.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Anyone ever use pgr on centipede? I have never tried it but use 11 oz tnex/micro mix on my Bermuda with good results.

The lawn pictured always is delayed green up last few years with winter damage. It has had gallery and micros so far and granular custom blend set to go out in 2-3 weeks.

This client has Bermuda front which gets pgr but wondered if the centipede would benefit from it at that low of a rate?

183658A6-205B-40F3-9E05-E305FE32C0DB.jpeg

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't spray anything on centipede. it will take care of itself.

Tidewater Greenworks likes this.
  3. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

On the one hand, gm, you'd think that it would help with lateral growth. But then on the other hand, centipede grows so slow anyway, would it come to a standstill, thus defeating the purpose?

I'll be interested in what you decide.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I wouldn't for what it's worth

hort101 likes this.
  5. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

Try a test section and compare

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

7. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

Video states that there is no selective to control dallisgrass in centipede, however, topramezone does a great job at that.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've never heard of anything that would work without killing the centipede too. usually you have to spot spray the dallisgrass and let the centipede grow back in or you can dig up the dallisgrass by hand.

it's the same problem we have here with some sort of fescue/hay clumps that show up in bermuda yards. you can't really kill it without killing the bermuda. you have to dig it up or spot spray it.

i haven't heard of topramezone before. i'll have to check into it. i don't spray yards i just mow them. i'm not in that part of the business.

most people try to spray the dallisgrass when the bermuda or centipede is dormant so they kill it but not the bermuda or centipede.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

well not when centipede is dormant but only on bermuda when it's dormant.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Sethoxydim for dallis in centipede