Philadelphia PA

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by Anthony Divit, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Anthony Divit

Anthony Divit LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I live about 40 minutes from Philadelphia and have been landscaping for 11 years. I am thinking of living in the city and was seeing if any landscapers had experience with doing only in city work. Gardening or just planter work. Any information would be great.

2. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I worked in Philly as a gardener from 2009-2012 and it's a PITA. Parking sucks, traffic sucks, constantly worried about getting tickets, limited on equipment usage, etc. But there were some really cool projects I was a part of: roof top gardens, private gardens in really nice historic houses, window boxes, etc.

I much rather work in the suburbs than the city but that's just me.

Where do you live now? Bucks/Mont?

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Anthony Divit

from Pa

I live in Bucks in the New Hope area. I have a small business that does great but lived in the country my whole life and looking for a change.

4. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I'm from Bucks Co myself. Live at the NJ shore now but miss Bucks Co.

My avatar is from the top of Bowman's Hill Tower.

Good luck with your decision. There's a lot of pros and cons to working in a major city like Philly.

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Anthony Divit

from Pa

Did you own a company in the city. I was looking at just gardening work not major pavers and stuff. Planters outside and in and any small beds in the back yard. I was looking at working for a company then venture out on my own.

6. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

No. I was the first employee of a small gardening business that's well known in the city today.

JLSLLC likes this.
  7. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

More power to you for actually wanting to live and work there. I have to have a really good reason to even go into Filthadelphia. One thing to remember is the City Wage tax, but I'm not sure how it affects business owners. K C M gets on here occasionally, I'm pretty sure he works in Philly. And BigJlittleC seems to be doing well doing inner city work in Chicago, so I'm sure it can be done. Obviously landscapers would be busier with residental jobs in the Northeast than in Center City or South Philly. But then you could probably get a decent rate doing the commercial work in those areas if you could put up with the traffic and parking hassles.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Anthony Divit

from Pa

Honestly I may not even do landscaping. I might just see what else is out there. I have a chance to try new things so I may see. A lot of people are hiring. I just like to do research and see my options.

TomH&H likes this.
  9. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Totally agree with TomH&H comment "Filthadelphia". I urge you to know what you are doing before heading in blind to Philly. It would really help to know someone there that can give you a rundown on where you can and can't go, where you can and can't live, etc.

Philly doesn't so much have "bad neighborhoods" as most of it in it's entirety is a "bad neighborhood", but you have to worry about which street you can or can't go on. One street may be safe and the next street you may be killed for simply being in the wrong place.

Cost of living is very high, traffic is insane, people are insane, etc. And if you plan on going into business for yourself, be prepared to have city officials down your back as well as competition. And don't leave any tools out of sight or they will likely be gone when you return.

It's a bad place to try to conduct business unless you are already rooted there or have the connections there. Money may look a lot better there, but your cost to live and do business there will eat up those higher wages and the quality of life is pretty poor.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

It can be done. IMHO there is plenty of work outside the city, in larger,nicer historic homes and towns. With plenty of landscaping to be done.

There is a lot of violence in philly, and areas you want to avoid. Not to mention one ways, that you have no other choice but to block the road to load and unload

hort101 and Walker56 like this.