1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Phobia? A little long.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TWUllc, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. TWUllc

    TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 406

    I have a real thing with Pesticides & Herbicides. Almost a phobia. Scared to hell of getting any on me from a mist, to over spray. Long story short, I took the required courses to be eligible to take the MDA test for an Application License. Learned how "potentially" dangerous they can be and how they "potentially" may affect your health. Then last spring, I saw a local Co. out spraying, and a fitting let loose. 2 or 3 guys were showered with whatever was in the tank. Almost threw up. I sprayed my arborvitaes today for bag worms, got a misting on my leg, (No real PPE, just long shirt, hat, glasses, paper mask, and gloves) flipped out and jumped in the shower. Am I being a wuss or what? Am I over-reacting? I would love to move forward; take the test, and integrate this into my business as I am always receiving requests, but damn if I'm not scared to death of this stuff. Any words of wisdom other than continue to sub this stuff out? :confused:
  2. shaneb

    shaneb Inactive
    Messages: 34

    Brian, First off, you are not being a wuss. My suggestion to you is to become as educated as you possibly can on the proper way to handle and use pesticides from a reputable source. As with most things, if handled properly, pesticides can be a tremendous help with very little risk. Here is a link to RISE (Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment). This will be a good starting point. http://www.pestfacts.org/ Hope this helps.
  3. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    If you don't like getting the stuff on you you better leave to the subs. Your going to get it on you no matter what. If your doing a patten and make the turn you'll get some on you. Or if you blow a hose and your soaked with it. Just change your clothes and get back to work.
  4. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    The LD 50 of table salt is lower than most pesticides. LD 50 is the Lethal Dose of a chemical it takes to kill 50% of a population. At 300 mg per Kg of both weight you would have to eat 4.5 pound of salt to kill 50% of the 150 lb men. Since every processed food you eat has salt, you are in more danger eating than applying pesticides.

    But Common sense should tell you that maybe this is not the right business to be in if you are that scared of pesticides. I had a customer who claimed ants were crawling on her at night while she slept. After treating her home several times, I suggested she call a head doctor not a pest control guy. Maybe you should do the same.
  5. mkroher

    mkroher LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 539

    Freaking out and jumping in the shower is kind of being a wuss. If you read the label, it gives you symptoms of chronic and acute pesticide poisoning. Usually, it's just a headache, dizziness, etc. I don't foresee your leg falling off if you accidently spray it. It's not like your in vietnam, and someone is spraying you with agent orange.

    The closest I've ever came to realizing I've had acute pesticide posioning, was when I sprayed Dimension WP mixed with 3-way all day long. I was a little dizzy, felt a little tired, and when I breathed, it felt like I swallowed pool water. I'm still alive today (duh), and I'll do it again next year (maybe with a mask though). Who knows if I'll get cancer in 20 years from it. 2,4-D will probably be banned before that happens.

    You probably do more damage to your body by eating McDonalds.
  6. sheshovel

    sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,112

    Oh com'on Ric, you can't go making an analogy like that and make it sound like pesticides are perfectly safe. You know better than that. That is a bunch of crap.
    Don't worry about it, I am scared of them too and avoid them as much as possible. I suggest you do not use them in your work. Try some organic approaches to pest management.
  7. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    I realize you Calf Hippies are still trying to save the wales but the fact is most modern pesticides are safer than table salt. It is the Fertilizer that you apply that is now causing more problems contaminating our water supply. Yes even organic fertilizers. What are Fertilizers? In fact, just different forms of salt. Morton Salt company even sells Muriate of Potash as Lite Salt. However Lesco doesn't sell Morton's lite salt as Fertilizer.
  8. mkroher

    mkroher LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 539

    haha "Calf Hippies"

    I gotta remember that one.
  9. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,954

    Atta boy Ric -- I'm with you. Once in awhile, some individuals might be allergic to specific products. I know I am allergic (skin reaction only) to zinc-based fungicides (fairly common), but that's all. Today I sprayed two properties with "Mosquito Barrier" >>> I almost puked! Yet it contains no "pesticides"! It stinks like hell cuz it's over 99% garlic. Back in the sixties, my friend died (I was a pall bearer) from paint fumes from his Dad's paint & body shop. He started puking at Boy Scout Camp -- was taken to the hospital, died within minutes. Autopsy said it was from paint fumes. I'm an ol' Iowa farm boy, and I am healthier than most my age. "Chemicals" (many of them salt-based) do not concern me because they have been specifically designed to be used around people, pets, wildlife, etc. What really concerns me are the "left-wing liberals" who have too much time on their hands, and I'm really getting tired of working so hard in order to support them. I hate Hillary too. LOL
  10. DSTC

    DSTC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 130

    I can't tell you how many tanks of herbicide that I've had to stick my hand in to get to a clogged filter screen in our permagreens. I usually just roll up the sleeves and have at it. Wash my hands and arms afterwards and back to work I go.

    I'm not so fond of getting insecticide on me, but hell when the pest company comes to spray your house (if you don't spray your own like I do), they most likely use a pyrethroid like Bifenthrin (Talstar & Onyx). This stuff is all over your house if you don't have insects inside. The cracks of the walls, the baseboards, even inside the cabinets :)

    Ric is right that most of the stuff we use today is very safe. Hell I think I even read a report that said that the mortality rate for those people ingesting glyphosate(Roundup) was 10% compared to 70% for those that ingested paraquat(the most widely used non-selective herbicide until the creation of glyphosate)

    On the other hand my pops told me a story about his county agent days. He said he used to work with a scout that liked to scout cotton barefoot. One day this guy goes out and scouts a feild barefoot that hand been broadcast with Timek. The guy dropped over dead because the Timek translocated through his feet! In this same story he tells that he saw a farmhand one day putting Timek into a hopper and the guy was pushing it in with his hands. He was covered with white powder form wrist to shoulder. Pop told him to go wash it off before he was seriously hurt, and the guy never even had a reaction from it. Different people react differently to things I suppose.

Share This Page