1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Phone Call Today

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by aperfectlawn, Feb 29, 2004.

1. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

The last 2 nights i have put out over 500 flyers. Today I get 2 phone calls?
    The first guy asks 3 questions:
    1. Do I have a license to work in the city?
    2. Do I have a license with the state plant board?
    3. Do I have insurance.
    The second guy calls 15 minutes later and asks for an estimate for a first of the year mowing. Before I can say anything else he asks if i have a riding mower that bags. I said no, but i do have two push mowers that bag. He says ok thank you and hangs up.

I think the first call was from another lawn care company being rude. Because he knew everything you need to have to have a lawn care business in Arkansas. I think the second call was his buddy just asking what I have.
    What do you think these phone calls were about? I am pissed.

2. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Do you have caller ID or *69 (if that still works)?????

3. VMAX

VMAX LawnSite Member

yea i have some friends that do that kind of thing to me too,they just love you.

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

You need to ask yourself. "Do I have time to worry about these phone calls?"

Get out more flyers and decrease your odds of BS.

5. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

I do have caller-id. The first call was a cell phone. The second call was from a house. My friend works at the cell phone place the number is from. I plan on asking him to give me a name with the number. My wife has a book at her work called a "cris-cross" you can have someones telephone number and it will give you a name and an address.

6. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

Put the numbers into google and search. But some people do prefer one kind of mower on their lawn over others. The guy I used to work for we had to used what the customer wanted sometimes over what was efficiant but he charged accordingly.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

They were just checking you out! I've done it-but for prices.

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Don't even worry about that crap!! Stay focused and keep searching for good potential customers!

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What are you going to do if you find out it is a competitor? Confront him? Just let it go, try to stay above the bs.