Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 nights i have put out over 500 flyers. Today I get 2 phone calls?
The first guy asks 3 questions:
1. Do I have a license to work in the city?
2. Do I have a license with the state plant board?
3. Do I have insurance.
The second guy calls 15 minutes later and asks for an estimate for a first of the year mowing. Before I can say anything else he asks if i have a riding mower that bags. I said no, but i do have two push mowers that bag. He says ok thank you and hangs up.

I think the first call was from another lawn care company being rude. Because he knew everything you need to have to have a lawn care business in Arkansas. I think the second call was his buddy just asking what I have.
What do you think these phone calls were about? I am pissed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You need to ask yourself. "Do I have time to worry about these phone calls?"

Get out more flyers and decrease your odds of BS.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have caller-id. The first call was a cell phone. The second call was from a house. My friend works at the cell phone place the number is from. I plan on asking him to give me a name with the number. My wife has a book at her work called a "cris-cross" you can have someones telephone number and it will give you a name and an address.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Put the numbers into google and search. But some people do prefer one kind of mower on their lawn over others. The guy I used to work for we had to used what the customer wanted sometimes over what was efficiant but he charged accordingly.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
That's just wasting your time. Put that energy into your business, not playing games with some other idiot. And really, who cares? Being professional means being mature about stuff, not playing childish games with the competition, that gets you nowhere anyway. I could care less what other people think of me, if they call to test my estimates, etc. It has nothing to do with success.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did find out that it was another lawn company. My friend called him today and basicly asked him the same questions he had asked me. He wasn't to happy about it. I do plan on making proposals for some of his commercial prroperty. I can't resist

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Originally posted by aperfectlawn
I did find out that it was another lawn company. My friend called him today and basicly asked him the same questions he had asked me. He wasn't to happy about it. I do plan on making proposals for some of his commercial prroperty. I can't resist
You better be willing to take his retaliation. You don't know what you're getting into if you start up a stupid fight like this. What's the point? In the end, how are you injured? If I let every little crappy thing that happened to me all day bother me I'd go nuts. While you are planning your revenge, every other LCO in town is out getting new customers. What a waste of energy. Let it go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would it be rude if I were to call him back. Introduce myself, let him know I am new to the business. And try to get of on a good start. He could possibly help me out in a situation and vice-versa. Or should we mind our own business. I thought he may have asked me those things in case he gets too busy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.