Phone calls while working

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
How do you all handle phone calls while mowing, doing leaf removal, etc...?

Especially over this past season I lost a lot of clients because I wouldn't hear my phone ring while I was mowing and by the time I call them back they found someone else.

Any tips you guys use?

Mikegyver

LawnSite Bronze Member
My phone is also my MP3 player. I have earbuds in 90% of the time and can hear it ring. These buds also have a mic built in that is excellent for taking calls. if I forgot the buds or phone was low on battery I would keep it on vibrate.
Mike

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
Simple, run a set of earphones under your shirt and put them in your ears. Cover you ears with some earmuff type noise attenuators and you'll hear every call.

CT18fireman

LawnSite Senior Member
My pet peeves are people that can't or don't leave messages and those who can't wait for a call back. Were working. Does your doctor, lawyer etc. stop working and come talk on the phone when you call?

Maybe you are cutting for 45 minutes or so straight? I check my phone after I load mower on trailer after any jobs. Any MESSAGES will be returned. Only existing customers have my cell. I don't call back just from seeing my caller id.

The main number for company is for a landline. Most calls there are usually gotten by the machine. Sometimes my wife answers and sets an appt. Otherwise calls are returned at the end of the day. Anyone with less patience to be honest is a customer I don't need.

OP
S

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
That's a really good way of doing things. I use my cell phone for my primary number because its the only phone I have besides my wife's and she owns a photography business so she uses hers so I could use it for an "office" number.

I do like the idea of only replying to people who only leave messages because like you said if they can't even wait for a call back and don't even leave a message they aren't really clients you want then.

My pet peeves are people that can't or don't leave messages and those who can't wait for a call back. Were working. Does your doctor, lawyer etc. stop working and come talk on the phone when you call?

Maybe you are cutting for 45 minutes or so straight? I check my phone after I load mower on trailer after any jobs. Any MESSAGES will be returned. Only existing customers have my cell. I don't call back just from seeing my caller id.

The main number for company is for a landline. Most calls there are usually gotten by the machine. Sometimes my wife answers and sets an appt. Otherwise calls are returned at the end of the day. Anyone with less patience to be honest is a customer I don't need.

TTM42

LawnSite Member
I just use the earbuds with the in-line mic and use the headphones over my ears to keep out the noise, plus they make the earbuds stay in better and you can hear every call when you get it, works like a charm for me.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't carry a cell working. I return messages at lunchtime and at the end of the day. Seems to work ok