1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

photinia removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rkbrown, Mar 4, 2004.

1. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that has lived in their home for 2 years. They would like me to replace about 70 feet of photinia with holly. The photinia is about 5 feet tall. I will remove them at the bottom with a chain saw. However, my question is how hard will it be to dig the root structure out? They do not know how old the photinia is, but if I had to guess I would imagine its been in the ground for at least 8-10 years.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Can you get a truck and chain in the area? The root structures on photinia are not that large and are easy to pull out. I have pulled them out of the ground before with the mower, so that tells you how big the root balls are.

3. rkbrown

Thanks for the reply, NCSU, but no, I will not be able to get my truck into the area of the photinia. If I decide to use a mower, I'll need to wait till it dries out a bit. It has been quite wet here. :)

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

They have only been in the ground 2 years?????

5. rkbrown

ipm:

My customers have lived there for 2 years. The last line of my post says that I would believe that these photinia have been in the ground for 8-10 years. :)

6. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about that.... I should read more thoroughly next time.

Am I thinking of the right plant. Photinia is a Red tip is it not???? I have always known red tips to be much larger, any way if they are red tips I would recommend a machine to pull out the stumps, etc. I don't see how a mower will work. I guess you could dig and use your mower, hard to say without being there.

7. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

I always rent the stump grinder after you flush cut. Its worth the time and money vs. the aggravation and 3 stooges look of trying to jerk them out of the ground and leaving a mess to clean up.

8. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

IPM yes photinia are commonly called redtips