Picked up Scag Tiger Cat at auction.. My thoughts..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksp107, Apr 27, 2019.

1. ksp107

ksp107 LawnSite Member

So, I currently own a 2016 JD Z915B, 60" with a 25hp Kohler and really have no complaints with it other than it rides pretty rough. I have several buddies that run Scag and speak very highly of them so I have been keeping my eyes out for a used one.

Long story short I picked up a 2015 Tiger Cat, 52", with a 22hp Kawasaki. It had 522 hours on it. I brought it home, changed all the fluids, greased her up, sharpened the blades and did some mowing with it. HOLY COW!!! I was super impressed with the Kawi, it seems to have significantly more power than the Kohler on my JD. The hydros were more responsive and it seemed to me that the cut quality was better. It was definitely more comfortable as it has a suspension seat, which my JD doesn't. I wish it were a 61", but i picked it up for $3500.... Would a Z930 or Z950 with a Kawi motor and suspension seat be comparable???? Oh yeah, the Scag stripes better too....

It makes me want to try a 61" Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger... I really like the Kawi motor!!!

I also stopped by the local ExMark dealer yesterday and looked at the Lazer Z, E-Series and Radius X-Series. The Lazer Z had a Kawi on it, the Radius has an ExMark motor. Both were 60" models. The Lazer Z was $9999 and the Radius was $8500 I think...

2. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

IMG_1577.JPG Turf Tiger for the win!

3. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

I’ve got both a tiger cat and a a lazer and I like them both, in my opinion the cut quality of the Scag is better. Certain things about the Exmark I like more, they’re not necessarily comparable machines because the Scag is a 48 and the Exmark is a 60 so the Exmark is quite a bit heavier and so it bounces less and rides nicer. Both great mowers but if I had my choice I’d probably have a fleet of scags. I really like how responsive they are.

4. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Stick with the Tiger Cats. Same deck as the Cheetahs, and Turf Tigers. They're not worth the extra money. I've got two TC 2's, and they're all the mower you'll ever need.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Not a fair comparison. The TC has a much smaller and easier to run deck than the JD. Step up to the TC w/60 and that same engine and it will be a much closer race.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but for me, I wouldn't ever buy a TC II. Not knocking the TC II to be clear, but to me, it's way too tight in the cockpit and nowhere near as good in the wet as far as traction. I demo'd all three last year at the same time on the same property and the TT II was by far easier to keep from spinning on wet grass and rode a LOT better than the TC II. The hydros were way nicer on the TT II than the TC II or the Cheetah. Worth every cent more to get a TT to me if I went to buy a new machine today, and many others here too apparently.

AlohaMowing, flybynite and Doc8406 like this.
  7. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Too each their own. I've been on all three, and I'll stick with the TC2s. I'm 6'3" 240, and I have plenty of room on the mower. The slightly smaller frame/lighter weight is a plus in my book, and Ive never had trouble with traction. I didn't notice a difference in ride between the TC2s and the TT2s, both rode better than the Cheetahs in my opinion. They're all fine machines, though.

8. OP
    OP
    ksp107

ksp107 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input gentlemen! I took my TC to the dealer yesterday as it was leaking some hydraulic fluid. He knew instantly what the issue was, told me he would have it ready today. We talked a lot about mowers. The TC2, 61” with the Kawasaki FT engine was 8999

9. OP
    OP
    ksp107

ksp107 LawnSite Member

Skol, what engine on your TC2?

10. Skol

Skol LawnSite Member

Kohler 29hp EFI.