• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Picking up a low hour used PG Centri - any advice?

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Guys,

After months of deliberation, decided to pick up a low hour used Centri.
For those that have experience with them or actually still run them, is there any words of advice or tips of the trade to keep in mind as I start out on it?
I would rather ask questions now than be ignorant and learn the super hard way.

I was interested in hearing about the tips that you guys run on this machine? Do you use the stock tips OR another option that provides better coverage? Also, is the pump pressure output variable on this machine, and if so what is the range?

As background, I do plan to use this machine on nearly every lawn I have and will get, from 5k sq ft all the way up to an acre. Resi and commercial.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
As background, I do plan to use this machine on nearly every lawn I have and will get, from 5k sq ft all the way up to an acre. Resi and commercial.
I have found it is better for weed control on PG to save them for 10,000 sq ft or higher. Switching to trim spray and busting out the squirt bottle for all the corners of small lawns takes too much time. It might work better with a T, but the PG does not excell on the small lawns. We are running an Ultra on 10,000 sq ft to 10 acres. Use the Spyker push on the smaller. Spot spray with a gun.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use my Centri on all of my lawns except a couple that are only about 1k. after you get comfortable you will have no problem. before the season starts check the belts and change them if they don't look new. check the idler pulley if it looks old change it. check the throttle and hopper cables. grease and oil everything except the belts. I spray my engine down with silicon once a week after a good cleaning and it still looks new after 600 hrs. order extra cables for the throttle and hopper, a couple extra shifter ends and maybe a idler pulley.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks Indy - I meant to PM you to get more info about these machines since I know you run them.

I do have some initial concerns about running the Centri on those 6k sq ft lawns with a lot of twists, turns, and beds. I do not have a skid so HAVE to use the PG on these lawns. Is it really a pain in the buns or completely doable? (note - I can use my elec. backpack for the very smallest lawns but prefer to do that sparingly to save my back)

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks Indy - I meant to PM you to get more info about these machines since I know you run them.

I do have some initial concerns about running the Centri on those 6k sq ft lawns with a lot of twists, turns, and beds. I do not have a skid so HAVE to use the PG on these lawns. Is it really a pain in the buns or completely doable? (note - I can use my elec. backpack for the very smallest lawns but prefer to do that sparingly to save my back)
Its been a few years since Ive used a Centri ( like 8 or 9 yikes!) however one thing I remember the most about mine was the cable that opens the chute. Because it was a poorly set up design it would stretch and move over time.

Thus I dubbed it... "the streaker" If you go back and forth you will be opening and closing that thing alot and the way its set up there was just too much play. I somewhat solved that problem when I learned how to fert in circles, this allows for less opening and closing. As soon as the ultra came out I got one of those. That has a direct rod for opening the spreader.

The other thing I realized right away is these machines do not do everything. If you want to do a great job and keep your customers happy you need to get off the thing once and awhile. I still carry a hand-can, and I always carry one of these in the hopper.

No thats not me :waving: I use that for all the little corners the Machine cant get into very well. I dont think you need a 4 gallon electric back pack or a skid sprayer to do this. I have several 1 gallon hand cans that work just fine.

FERT-TEK

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use my Centri on all of my lawns except a couple that are only about 1k. after you get comfortable you will have no problem. before the season starts check the belts and change them if they don't look new. check the idler pulley if it looks old change it. check the throttle and hopper cables. grease and oil everything except the belts. I spray my engine down with silicon once a week after a good cleaning and it still looks new after 600 hrs. order extra cables for the throttle and hopper, a couple extra shifter ends and maybe a idler pulley.
DA, Indy has taught me a lot about these machines and is a good resource to listen to for advise. Now, not to rub it in but the Ultra I was selling had extremely low hours and all the above maintenance done to it. It also had and had a "field repair kit" with extra things mentioned above like idler pulley's, shifter ends, screens, belts and cables. I do recommend the silicone treatment between rounds. The Ultra and Centry will both do well on smaller properties and take up minimal space on your trailer.

My point in the above paragraph is not to be a jerk, just having a little fun with you. Seriously consider this though, the longer you wait on your decision the harder it will be to find a quality machine at your price. As spring grows near, the good ones are bought and the junk is left behind. Good luck in your search.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Dave - thanks for the input - I actually nailed down a Centri pretty close to me, only will have to drive an hour or so. I have no doubts your machine was first rate, but the winter driving was the kicker and I just didn't want to do it. But, we are both happy I think:)

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Guys,

After months of deliberation, decided to pick up a low hour used Centri.
For those that have experience with them or actually still run them, is there any words of advice or tips of the trade to keep in mind as I start out on it?
I would rather ask questions now than be ignorant and learn the super hard way.

I was interested in hearing about the tips that you guys run on this machine? Do you use the stock tips OR another option that provides better coverage? Also, is the pump pressure output variable on this machine, and if so what is the range?

Well are you going to talk about it till its gone or buy it. you know what they say sh!t or get off the pot. Dont mean to be mean but seem like you have a hard time making a decision Good luck
Charles Cue

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
As I recall, Permagreen uses a fixed pressure valve. It is a round black thing in the return line. It is fixed at 10 or maybe 20 lbs per sq inch. Check your instructions for the Centri. It probably delivers about 90 ounces of spray per minute if it is working at factory specifications. Check your pattern with water or anti-freeze on cement. It should reach about 3 to 4 feet out on each side. This works great for weed control.
Correction
http://www.permagreen.com/downloads/KBA-C01001 Centri Operator Manual.pdf
They use 15 lbs pressure, 28 ounces per 1000 feet and spray 9 feet wide.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
As I recall, Permagreen uses a fixed pressure valve. It is a round black thing in the return line. It is fixed at 10 or maybe 20 lbs per sq inch. Check your instructions for the Centri. It probably delivers about 90 ounces of spray per minute if it is working at factory specifications. Check your pattern with water or anti-freeze on cement. It should reach about 3 to 4 feet out on each side. This works great for weed control.
Correction
http://www.permagreen.com/downloads/KBA-C01001 Centri Operator Manual.pdf
They use 15 lbs pressure, 28 ounces per 1000 feet and spray 9 feet wide.
Thanks for the link for the manual!

And Charles, I am off the pot no worries. I am just very picky on the equipment I acquire and who I get it from - it needs to be a more local purchase and I was able to find someone close to me with what I wanted.