Pine Bark Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by joallen001, May 8, 2008.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Is anyone having any luck finding pine bark in bulk. I have three companies I have been getting mulch in 90-100 yard loads and none of them have it. One company quit selling it, one said it would be june, and the other said three weeks. We go through about 800-1000 yards a year. Anybody have any info on mulch in the Tennessee area or Alabama. There has to be some others dealing with this issue. We got a 150 flats of flowers to put out but no mulch. Seems like gas prices are causing this issue....

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i have been having the exact same problem! one client insisted on wanting it, but i can only find it in bags and i need about 12-15 yards. ive called about 6 local yards and only 2 carry it in bags.

3. joallen001

from TN

I have one job that is contract and it takes 80yds twice per year. Seems like that would take forever doing bags of mulch but that may be an option.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

80 yds twice a year? wow, this stuff last alot longer than shredded, how come its done that often? a big job like that can probably afford to pay the price of bagged mulch, but mine is just a residential, so its a big difference between a bulk price per yard vs. $4 per bag

5. barbara taylor

barbara taylor LawnSite Member

Sims Co. has stopped production and no shredded pine bark mulch can be found around Memphis,Al,Miss. Heard that maybe if construction starts up again it might be available in the fall. We are all in the "same boat"

6. joallen001

from TN

Sims still has pine but they are bagging it all. It all goes to Wal-Mart.

7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Sims only has mini nuggets, brown hardwood and red

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

We pay 2.80 per 3cu ft bag of pine bark. Makes it out to be $25.20 per yard. We can move 9 bags around alot faster than shovel 1 yard of mulch any day. We can fit 26.6 yards in a truck and trailer. Applying 50 yards a day of this stuff with 4 guys is what we timed it at this spring.

9. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

We use a lot of pine bark nuggets too. We haven't had a huge problem getting it but sometimes we got to wait a few days. From what my supplier says it's not the gas or anything like that it is the lack of new home contruction. The bark of a pine tree is a by product of making 2x4 and other building material. They aren't logging pine trees just for the bark.