1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

pine cone pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wpines, Aug 18, 2005.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

What is the best way to get pine cones from white pines out of the lawn. About 2 acres worth.

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a half acre property I maintain with very little turf due to all the pine trees. The people told me all they cared about was getting the pinestraw and pine cones picked up twice a month. I get $150 a month. I first mow the little bit of weeds and fescue they have and then get the blower out and blow straw and cones into as big a piles as I can. Then we rake it up and bag it and stick it out by the street. Usually takes an hour maybe a little longer. In your situation I would try and chew em up ith the mower then try to blow and rake em if it needs it. But I would charge for all your extra time cause 2 acres is a lot of pine cones.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Grasshopper with there grass collection system. Best unit I have seen for pine straw. If its really thick pine straw in the grass a jrco rake works real good.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 8 pines in my own yard. Oodles of needles and lots of cones
    fall at this time of the year due to stress from not much rain.

I use a 42" lawn sweeper and it does a real good job of picking up
    both.

Nosmo

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

spring tine dethatcher on front of my walker

6. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

What about one of those units with the rubber fingers? Toro "Olathe" or something like that?

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you feel like spending $10,000 for one of those self contained pick up rigs.