1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pine Needle Quote Out of Control and need help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by CarolinaLawnCo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. CarolinaLawnCo

CarolinaLawnCo LawnSite Member

I have an area that is 2,200 ft by 17 ft. How many bails of long leaf pine needles do I need? I am used to doing mulch. This is a quote for an HOA and the development is surrounded by these huge road side ornamental beds along the permiter. Besides pine needling twice a year this would be a very easy account to maintain and would love to get it.

2. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

623 .........less depending on amount of plant material involved

3. bolc5150

bolc5150 LawnSite Member

That is a spot on estimate....Just hope the wind is not blowing when you put it down..That could be disaster.;)

4. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder LawnSite Member

Also make note of live oaks- they will drop some nice loads of leaves here in the coming months. They are a pain to keep out of that fresh straw.

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the formula you guys used to determine that because I am in the same scenario..i do mulch...not needles normally. THanks

6. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

2200x17=37,400 sq ft. 37,400 divided by 60sq ft (1 bail coverage)=623.

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Does that change depending on how thick you want your needles? or do you just add to the sf?

8. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

yessir. 60 would be medium thick. BTW I would rather haul 40 bales home than need 40 more bales delivered.....slightly over estimate....jus sayin