• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Pine Needles Cover Lawn

Collegiate

LawnSite Member
I have a Lawn i just picked up that has Pine needles all over it. It is close to a Lake and has approx. 25 plus Pine Trees. The yard has been covered for the entire winter in pine needles and such debris from the trees. I want to know if applying 15-30-15 quick realease fertlizer is a waste of time and money or will this let the lawn green up? Will the Sap from the needles effect this at all? Also, should i apply Lime to control the PH before fertilizing? Im new to this and these are things i need to discuss with the owner of the Lawn.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Ben

TSM

LawnSite Senior Member
appling the fert should be no problem, i assume there will be a clean up first, but even if not the fert will get through the needles with a watering.

and, as mentioned, the way to know how much lime, a simple pH test

OP
C

Collegiate

LawnSite Member
I appreciate the responses. I will do a full clean-up and raking of the lawn before i apply anything. I just want the yard to look it's best. I am going to do a soil test in the next week then go from there.

Thanks for your help.

Ben