1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pine straw rates

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by georgiaboy, Feb 16, 2006.

1. georgiaboy

georgiaboy LawnSite Member

What is everyone charging to set out pine straw for machine bailed and for hand bailed. This is a common request and I have just been pricing according to hours of labor. Just wondering what the going rate is? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jeffhendrix

jeffhendrix LawnSite Member

I buy straw for 3.20 a bale and charge customers 7.00 to install

3. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

that is me
    I charge double what they cost

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats it. Moving to Pensacola. I get it for 3.15 and charge 5.25 installed. Used to have a company around that would install for 4.25 and would pocket the buck for doing nothing. Real nice have a two hundred day for doing nothing.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would imagine in Columbus the going rate would be $2-3 a bale for labor. And then you will have guys that will put it down for 50 cents a bale. Someone delivers and spreads slash for me for $4 a bale. I just make the phone call!

6. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

You should charge at least 4 for labor. They don't machine bail pinestraw it is done with rakes and a box that is in the shape of bails.

7. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

I Charge $6.25 Per Bale

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How can you say that when you are in a different region? I understand that in different areas the rates are very different, but in GA you will not get the job charging 7-8 dollars a bale.

9. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I say that because most employees put out like 10-12 bails and hour. I bleive most folks like to make a t least 40 per hour and you have to go pick it up. It really depends on if you are trying to make money or you just want something to do. I also just moved form atlnata so I know what the market will bare in georgia. I also know most serious landscape companies in ATL charge 6.50-7.50 and buying it by the trailer they are probably paying 2.75-3.00 per bail maybe even less.

10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

14.00 bale installed