1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pine Straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

My previous pinestraw supplier has developed too many "year round" accounts, and a 16,000 bale order to fill in the next week. As a result I am low on their list.

Does anyone in the NC area have a supplier that may be able to provide me with good needles at a good price? Thanks for any information.

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you pay for straw in NC?

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 3 companies :
    "Special Touch"- Parnell Miller (843)672-5210
    "David's longleaf pine needles"- David Woodward (843)672-2974

How large are you orders?

4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $2.85/bale, 300 bale trailer load last year for short leaf. $3.25 for longleaf. I only use around 1000 bales in the spring, and prefer to buy it in 300 bale quantities, but would consider a larger load. Storage is a bit of a problem.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

you can possibly try Pine Straw Distributors out of raleigh/greensboro
    Also i was thinking about buying a tractor trailer load out of georgia and loking for someone to split it with.

6. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

If your in a pinch, you can always go to Lowes. Its 3.50/bale and usually pretty good quality. They usually have plenty but don't offer discount for quantity. Tractor trailer runs about $3500

7. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I hate buying pine needeles this time of the year,all of them look like ****.(i.m.o)I think the best time for them is in about a month.I buy alot from john deere but here lately lowes had needles that looked as good as theres.There is a guy in statesville that has a green house that just got some in today if you want his number e-mail me he always has nice needles.:)

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

In the last 3-4 years I have yet to get that perfect batch of long leaf pine needles that has the really deep orangish brown look. I always seem to get the stuff that has been bailed a while ago but still decent.

9. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

What is Pine straw? Does anyone have a picture?