Pine straw

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sos50, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Sos50

Sos50 LawnSite Member

Yes I’m new to the forum but I have been following this site for about a year and have found It very useful. I was reading a thread earlier and a pine straw discussion sparked some curiousity. I’d like to see some samples of the cost of pine straw from all around the country from you guys. Also availability and demand. I ask because I live in an area with an ambundance of straw. Quality long leaf straw. With that said I don’t understand the inflated cost we are paying at local retailers. It was nearly impossible to find this past year and was 4.50 a bale when you did. Luckily My family owns land I can rake from for my customers. I’m wandering if the dealers have found a better market elsewhere that justifies freight expenses. Any info y’all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

SiteOne has long leaf for around $5.15 or so. Florida straw is $4.50. Bale sizes vary.

ltdlawn likes this.
  3. Kennedylawns

Kennedylawns LawnSite Member

Here in ms site one has long leaf for 6.25 a bale while others around here sell em for 5.50 and they are a little smaller. Though I’ve contacted a company that ships over here and you can get em for 3.25 a bale but would need to order a big load to get it.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I can buy 1 or 100 from directly from the man that bales it. $3.50 a bale. If I buy more than 100 he’ll give me a discount.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

How much can one add for labor in your market? How large are the bales?

6. barrierislandslandscaping

barrierislandslandscaping LawnSite Member

I am in South Carolina and use pine straw 90% of the time. I buy it from some Mexicans for $3.25 with no tax and lay it down for $6.50 a bale. Good size long needle straw

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

4.50 a bale and its crappy straw.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I at least double my cost.

If the yard is challenging I would add more for that. Or if it’s challenging and we’re trimming hedges I’d hide the additional cost in the trimming price.

I don’t miss the days of pine straw tho..

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I need to sell 300ish bales and order it directly. I've been giving more than $5 a bale lately.

10. Sos50

Sos50 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. I guess our pricing is in the middle so I can’t complain. Last year I was paying 4.50a bale at retailers for good straw. If and when I could get it from the man baling it was 3.50. I was charging $7 a bale for the bale, delivery and put out. I had to go up to $8 since we were having to buy from retailers.