1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pinestraw Tucking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terry Edwards, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Terry Edwards

Terry Edwards LawnSite Member

I would like some tips on the best procedure for this detail work.
    Thanks.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

When I put it down around a tree I actually use my hands to roll the edges in...........I've seen some that was just thrown down and then some that was perfectly tucked. I haven't mastered the "perfect tuck" yet. I've asked others how they do it, some say they use a blower others say they use a rake. One guy told me it needs to be wet to get it to form properly. Trial and error. My last job looked pretty good compared to a lot and not as good as others.

Practice and spy on your competitors.......hope this helps!:cool:

3. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I put down the needles about 6 inches past my border. I place them heavier around the edge to give it some weight. Then I take my blower on low-medium speed and point it at the edge of the needles and start forcing them to roll under. A 45 degree angle to the ground seems to work best for me. Then you just work yourself along until they are rolled in as far as you like. Takes a little practice but saves lots of time once you master it.

I agree that if you can dampen the needles with water it add weight to them and makes it a little easier to control and keep the needles from folding over back into the bed. The trick is to make the wind roll them under.