Pinhole leak in Rainbird PEB valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by OKSooner, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I installed a Rainbird PEB valve in a manifold and it leaks. Just a very small, pinhole leak, coming out from the bonnet, the best I can tell, exactly under the solenoid and squirting out away from the manifold.

The other two valves in the manifold are working fine.

I'm headed back to the client's house this afternoon to pull the bonnet off the top of the valve and take it in to my supplier tomorrow AM.

Meanwhile, has anyone else had this happen? What's up with it?

Thanks.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Dude man.

If It weren't for all those pictures you posted I would say this threads are just words. Sounds like you need to swap and go.

3. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Ask your supplier to return it to Rain Bird using the PRR process, Product Reliability Report.

4. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

Thanks for your helpful reply, that's what I'm planning to do.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

Great post.
    Will read again.

6. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

PEB1.jpg

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Sometimes valves just go.
    The Dv100 were giving me problems @ Bartlett 10 years ago. I just remember the color on the solenoids always changed.

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

That's one of the newer style PEB bonnets, they remind me of the Bermad valve tops.
    Could be as simple as an O-ring or a crack in the bonnet.

9. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Hard to tell from the pic, but it appears to be an oring. Sometimes when turning the solenoid to bleed the valve, it is turned too far. (1/4 turn, then wait 5 seconds) Water squirts out and, of course, the user tightens the solenoid to stop the leak. The squirt could be caused by the water pressing the oring out of its groove. If so, tightening the solenoid damages the oring and it is done. You must replace the the oring. Of course, we don't sell that part, so you have to get a new solenoid. That is unless you have some way to talk to a Product Manager who may have some stashed away somewhere for these exact reasons. :weightlifter:

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

Hey Ron. Love the signature.

Tech guys are people too.
    Your hoody has been keeping me warm, although I must say the Hunter one is of better quality and keeps me warmer.

I spoke with a few guys @ the trade show from RB.
    They had no idea people had been asking about a 12'' 3500.
    Also those plastic push tab ports on the back of those newer clocks are awful.

Hopefully they will also pass along the info.