1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pintle hitch vs. regular ball

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DieselTurfer HD, Feb 11, 2003.

1. DieselTurfer HD

DieselTurfer HD LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a 24ft enclosed and i have the option of either a pintle hitch or a regular ball. I have only used a pintle hitch hear and there and know they are alot easier to hook up but make alot of noise too. Just trying to see what the benefits of having a pintle over the ball is or vise versa..

Thanks

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can not help you with an enclosed trailer, but for the dump trailer I am getting it will have a ball for the hitch. On my truck I will have a pintle hitch in the receiver with a 2 5/16" ball for the trailer. It makes the best use of the truck hitch. If I need to pull another trailer with a pintle I can, kind of like two hitches in one. I still have a 2" ball on the bumper. Hope this helps a little.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Strength. Pintle hitches are a lot stronger than ball hitches. Plus , you can always get that combo hitch- pintle and ball in one. If I had to do it over I'd get the pintles on everything.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you are using it as a maintenance trailer, I would recommend getting a 2 5/16" ball. Yes the pintail is much stronger and easier to hook up, we use them for all of our deck over trailers. As for maintenance, a ball will give you a MUCH smoother ride. Plus it's easier on your truck because you don't get the jerk of stopping and taking off.