Pipe Size For Shallow Well To Lawn Irrigate???

seagiant

LawnSite Member
Hi,
I'm in Central Florida on a Canal, and have been pumping water, from the Canal, but now...

Having problems with grass and looking to maybe put in a small shallow well that you can drive in yourself.

My question is, the drive pipe is 1.25" and 2.0"...

Will the 1.25" pipe be big enough to supply the Irrigation system?

Only 1 field runs at a time, so any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

OP
S

seagiant

LawnSite Member
Hi,
I have no idea, the system was put in when I built the house.

I would run the pump and just measure what it pumps, but it does not have a valve attached.

Just wondering if it is even possible to run a lawn irrigation system from a shallow well???

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
We need more info
Is irritation system already installed?
How big of a lawn?
How many zones?
How many heads?

Provide as much detail as possible including pics

OP
S

seagiant

LawnSite Member
Hi,
The system has 4 fields and about 6 sprinkler heads per field.

The Pump is a F&W 1.5 HP with 80 GPM. (I think?)

All of the writing on the tags is long gone as the pump and motor are about 16 years old!

The front yard is about 50 yds.X 50 yds., and the back is about 50 yds. X 30 yds.

Thats about all the info I have, I talked to a guy yesterday that works at the local plumbing shop and rebuilds irrigation and pool pumps and...

He told me he ran a shallow well that even near a lake and still was not able to pull enough water to irrigate with.

I have had a shallow well before, but only used it to water, Orange Trees, so the GPM, was no big deal but the trees loved the regular water and did quite well!
f-w-self-priming-sprinkler-pump-80-gpm-3-hp-spj30b1-k-c-17.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
50 x50 is 150ft x 150ft or 22500 sq ft (roughly half an acre.

50x30 is 150x 90 or 13500 sq ft. (Roughly 1/3 acre)

So just under 1 acre to be irrigated. Is this correct?

You have four zones with 6 heads per zone.
Do you know where your valves are?
What is the diameter of the pipe that comes into the valves? Diameter of pipe going out of valves?

OP
S

seagiant

LawnSite Member
Hi,
Thanks for the help, but I've been a Merchant Marine for 40 years and have not been really involved with Lawn Irrigation.

I have replaced some heads and they are the usual 1/2" and 3/4 piping.

This is not a Golf Course just a yard and I have a box on the side of the house that runs everything.

Admittedly not very up on this and why I'm trying to get some info.

Thanks again!!!

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
The reason I'm asking you these questions is to try to determine what you have in order to determine what you need.

I'll share this. Its absolutely possible to irrigate acreage with a sandpoint well, provided all variables are correct.

I irrigate my 1.5 acre lawn with a 1.25 inch sandpoint well and a jet pump. I have 13 zones 10 heads per zone. My mainlines and all lines to heads are 1 inch diameter.

At this point you have two options-

1 feverishly study irrigation and learn.

2 call a pro

Top Forums