Piping under 30ft of asphalt

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RLS_MEL, Jan 16, 2018.

1. RLS_MEL

RLS_MEL LawnSite Member

i have use the water jetting method under driveways and sidewalks many of times, but this one has me nervous.. its a parking lot and there is a island that use to have irrigation but owner claims it was broken installing something(i cant recall).. but there is about 32ft of asphalt that i have to get under.. what will be the best way doing this with just without costing much. I am only making $500 and trying to get cost low as possible.. My original plan was just to get some 1" galvanized /w a tee fitting at the end. Use a sludge hammer and water jet it at the same time. My worries is getting the PVC pulled back through. Any advice,suggestions,ideas will be very much appreciated

20180104_123715.jpg

20180104_123706.jpg

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

$500 seems a bit low, especially since you don't really know how you plan to get the pipe over where you need it. I don't think that you're going to jet and pound a line 32' with much success. Realistic options would be 1) saw cut, trench, lay new line and patch asphalt. 2) find somebody to horizontally bore a line in for you or 3) find the existing line and hope that it's large enough to possibly run a smaller line through. Again, your $500 price tag is your biggest issue.

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Around where I live it's very common to have Rip Rap Rock under crushed gravel laid to level the asphalt especially in commercial area's.

I guess it depends on what's down there but a water jet sounds to me very difficult with that amount of length

With the drain there and other possible utilizes a bore/ mole wouldn't be best.

I think you best bet is to cement saw out a strip of asphalt and trench /install a new sleve/ pipe. Often you can lay the old chunks back in there with some asphalt sealant too

4. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

$500 for a 30’ core? No thanks

5. RLS_MEL

RLS_MEL LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, yes i know $500 is way to cheap for the job, but its a good friend of mine that sends ton of work my way. I thought when we discuss over the phone that it would be just a simple water jet and thats it. After seeing the pictures i started rethinking it, i didnt wanna back down so i figured ill try to figure out something. You guys make alot of sense though. no point to go thru all that trouble... thanks again

SoCalLandscapeMgmt likes this.
  6. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one I piped under last month. You get one of these saws and cut it up and get the owner to pay to patch it. How are you doing this for $500 with no plan? Like everyone said you don't know what's under there and 32 feet is a long way to go. Cut it up and either take a loss or ask for more money.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    hort101 and RLS_MEL like this.
  7. Robert Stone

Robert Stone LawnSite Member

Your method has never worked for me; lots of gravel and rocks. So I had a company “drill” under my driveway and used a PVC pipe to house and protect my polyethylene pipes once put in place.

RLS_MEL likes this.
  8. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much did you pay for that and how wide was the driveway?

9. Robert Stone

Robert Stone LawnSite Member

I paid approximately $400 for two drilling sites back in 1991 by a sprinkler installation company. I only used them for that purpose; I did the remainder of digging and installation myself.

10. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I think you've way under bid this job.