1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Piranha 48 belt drive

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Suburban Cowboy, May 12, 2008.

1. Suburban Cowboy

Suburban Cowboy LawnSite Member

So, hemming and hawing all winter I decided to buy a new belt driver instead of the cheap cub cadet - Troy built - White Outdoor style mower.

I just could not part with the money on a hydro rider that I just wasn't all that sure about not too mention 5 more bills for the catcher.

So, after running a 1984 Scag for several years I bought a mower called a Piranha. Yeah, I know it is also a Bradley - Red Hawk - etc. The thing is: It has a 15 hp. twin cylinder Kawaski -which I like and also comes with the same peerless 5 speed tranny as many others. Being a scag lover I also liked the fact that it is orange.

I cut around 15 lawns per week and so far I really like the machine.
    It cost 1999.00 (Home and garden show price)

The only negatives that I see are this: the deck is very strong, but the fit and finish of some of the deck joints could be just a little better. I am not complaining, just telling what I see, also the catcher drags a little more than I would like it too when the terrain is not equal.

The motor is quiet and the peerless is fast. The deck leaves a nice stripe.

I grease and sharpen every week too!

When I add another mower in the future I will probably buy another one.

If you adjust the handles correctly the pistol grips are not bad on the hands as some people have stated.

I still love the Scags, but I am trying to make some money here too! Therefore, for me, the Piranha was a no brainer. Thats my story and I am stickin to it!

Artistic Touch Landscaping
    2004 Ford F150 STX
    Piranha 48"
    Jungle Wheels Sulky
    Stihl 380 Backpack - 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Stihl FS 55 Line Trimmer- 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Stihl BG 55 Hand Held blower- 2 stroke is no joke Mr. Gore
    Toro 21" push mower
    One hot wife
    Hensim Mini Quads (my kids)
    Honda MX bikes