Pitcher's Mound (my first)

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
St. Joseph, MI
The baseball field our local high school uses is being renovated. I am doing some of the work. This week we roughed in the new pitcher’s mound and batter’s boxes. It was difficult to find widespread agreement on the procedures and methods. Although this was my first mound built from scratch, I have maintained and repaired others. In the end, how it was done is based on what I have seen on other fields, what I have read or been told, the existing conditions and parameters of the job, and the materials available in our area.

The mound as we found it:
original mound_low res.jpg
original mound 2_low res.jpg

For context. Cleaned up old mound in context of tilled infield.
mound in context of tilled infield_low res.jpg

After shooting all the elevations, we roughed in and shaped the area where the clay bricks would go
mound prep and CF grade_low res.jpg

Naturally, the rough in area will hold water until bricks are in and finish grade established
wet landing area_low res.jpg

continued next post...

original mound_low res.jpg


original mound 2_low res.jpg


mound in context of tilled infield_low res.jpg


mound prep and CF grade_low res.jpg


wet landing area_low res.jpg
 
OP
foreplease

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
St. Joseph, MI
Just to be safe, I put in a smile drain at the front and back edges of mound
smile drain at mound_low res.jpg
The school had about 3 dozen old bricks, we put those on the bottom layer
IMG_2284_crop_low res.jpg
I made this mound gauge that made the job easier and, probably, better The landing area is two bricks deep
IMG_2287_low res.jpg
Building and following the slope one brick deep
IMG_2288_low res.jpg
All of the heavy use area in front of the rubber is three bricks deep
IMG_2289_low res.jpg

continued...

smile drain at mound_low res.jpg


IMG_2284_crop_low res.jpg


IMG_2287_low res.jpg


IMG_2288_low res.jpg


IMG_2289_low res.jpg
 
OP
foreplease

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
St. Joseph, MI
Here’s a shot from the front showing the slope and table area behind the rubber
mound wear areas 2 and 3 layers deep_low res.jpg

Need to backfill, water, and cover until we get the grass grown in. I wanted to get the heaviest work done before we plant the grass.
mound brick work completed_low res.JPG

This is one I edged last fall after removing the worn and compacted areas in the grass in front of the mound and repairing. It was brought up to grade (final inch) in the spring.

mound repair edged Am Legion_low res.jpg

One side of the box is finished. We were only able to go two bricks deep on the back edge.
batters box LH.JPG

mound wear areas 2 and 3 layers deep_low res.jpg


mound brick work completed_low res.JPG


mound repair edged Am Legion_low res.jpg


batters box LH.JPG
 

AJ Lawnscapes

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
Newville, PA
Hmmm... learn something new everyday. I didn't know that the mounds were built with bricks, thought it was just a bunch of compacted sand.

Looks good, thanks for learning me good today!
 
OP
foreplease

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
St. Joseph, MI
I am still learning myself. Yes, unfired clay bricks are what I used - 435 so far and I need about 90 more to finish the other batter's box. In all of the reading I did and the little bit of repair work I have done with mound clay, this seemed like the best way to go. Based on how many times some of them had to be reset to get everything right, I now know working with bagged clay would have been tougher.

Thanks for your comments.
 
OP
foreplease

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
St. Joseph, MI
Great job! If that infield has an automated irrigation system, you might want to consider getting a tarp for the mound so it doesn't end up washing out.
Thank you. I am happy with it as a first try. Irrigation was put in last week but will probably not be live for one more week. We are looking at tarp options now and definitely plan to cover the mound and plate. My take on tarps is that they help keep mositure in as well as out. Both are important, but I have some things to learn about the specifics.
 

Baseballer1100

LawnSite Member
When we built the mound at my school used clay and tamps. I felt like dying. the guide is also a good little tool I need to get a picture of ours. It is like that only it has little 1x1s that gradually get smaller hard to explain with out a picture.
 
Top