Lawn Care Forum banner

Planning a new trailer for Walker

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
I'm trying to plan a trailer. I need a low weight so it only needs 2 tires, and no brakes.
Anyone have suggestions of things I need? Never had a trailer before.
I'm planning to fit the Walker w/ 48" deck, a push mower and buckets in it.
I have a dump truck for greenwaste.
Also planning to have a metal storage box near the front, with side opening/ramp, where I can keep trimmers and another push mower.
And orchard ladder rack/gas...
It will be a steel frame, and low mesh sides. I'm not really sure the minimum height the sides can be but if the lawn mower in the storage box needs to be at least 41" as that's how high the honda commercial pushmower is, probably the whole trailer would be best at that height.
Thanks in advance if you have any reccomendations.

#3 ·
I have a Walker but I have mine on a 6.5 x 14' trailer that has stake pockets. The sides are interchangable so I can put 18" sides on or 3' sides on the front if I want to use it to haul mulch, grass, debris.
I had a 6X10 when I started and it got small. I now wish I had a 16 or better yet 18.
As ksland said a 6.5 x 12 will do you fine.I might have mistaken your meaning but are you talking about making the sides 41" high all around the trailer?
Just a consideration but think about ramping the trailer from the hitch end into your dump box. Thats what I did and if you haul lots of grass this will save you time. You have to rmemeber that the more steel you tack on, the more you will meed a second axle.

I know that I didn't have the lights plugged in. I was just taking pictures.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

#6 ·
Thanks for the pics, I really like the idea dumping into the truck. I have a dump truck, so that would work very well.
I was hoping for a compact trailer, way less than what you two suggest, but maybe that isn't realistic I will need to measure again. Same with brakes, I don't have a bundle of cash to burn here, but if it's best I'll do it. Thanks.
Mow Ed, does the ramp to the trcuk fold down or how does that work?

#7 ·
First off, the brakes are a must. My next one will definately have them.

The ramp was my own design and way overbuilt. You could drive a small car on it but then again I didn't want to fall thru. The ramp is measured to sit on the bumper of the pickup. The tailgate is removed. The trailer gate is pinned to stay up in transport and is hinged to fold down to the bumper. I don't haul much anymore but it is handy if I want to. Its even nice to use as a loading/unloading ramp if I put something heavy in the bed.
I had a welder make it up for me at about 350.00. Not too bad when you see how he built it.
I have it wrapped in the yard or I would take some more pics for you. Still snowed in here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.