• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Plans for the Future.....

smassengill

LawnSite Member
I am 17 now and want to go to college then come back and start my business. Right now I take care of around 10 properties over the summer and also offer snow services for homeowners. Attached is what my dreams consist of. I realize that there is a lot of money involved but I like to dream big!

Attachments

Last edited:

yamadooski

LawnSite Senior Member
Going to college is a good thing. Its good to have dreams and goals.
Stay away from the LIBERAL proffesors or you will come out like they are now and not have clue as to how to make money and expect everyone else to give it to you.
Im done with paying taxes. Liberals and Obama can kiss my @##$#$

SchnabelLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I am 17 now and want to go to college then come back and start my business. Right now I take care of around 10 properties over the summer and also offer snow services for homeowners. Attached is what my dreams consist of. I realize that there is a lot of money involved but I like to dream big!
Good goal! I would suggest that you buy the trucks 2-3 years old and save ~100k. Also the excavator and a few of the other large investments could be bought a few years gently used. Another ~100k. How many employees do you eventually want? Add in the cost for uniforms.

Very well thought out plan. If you are stuck on buying new, just remember, prices will be much higher after college. Assuming we are out of the recession.

What is your intended major?

Peace, James.

OP
smassengill

smassengill

LawnSite Member
Good goal! I would suggest that you buy the trucks 2-3 years old and save ~100k. Also the excavator and a few of the other large investments could be bought a few years gently used. Another ~100k. How many employees do you eventually want? Add in the cost for uniforms.

Very well thought out plan. If you are stuck on buying new, just remember, prices will be much higher after college. Assuming we are out of the recession.

What is your intended major?

Peace, James.
I would probably end up buying used. It's a lot smarter of a business decision. I have no idea about employees though. Do you employ guys all year round? seasonally? just when there is work?

BTW intended major: some sort of business management from Indiana University

OP
smassengill

smassengill

LawnSite Member
Going to college is a good thing. Its good to have dreams and goals.
Stay away from the LIBERAL proffesors or you will come out like they are now and not have clue as to how to make money and expect everyone else to give it to you.
Im done with paying taxes. Liberals and Obama can kiss my @##$#$
My father is a raging conservative. I hear him gripe about that stuff all the time.

SchnabelLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I would probably end up buying used. It's a lot smarter of a business decision. I have no idea about employees though. Do you employ guys all year round? seasonally? just when there is work?

BTW intended major: some sort of business management from Indiana University
Well to run that many aspects of business, you'll definitely need a few hard working employees. Ideally you could employ year round. I don't know where you're from, but just assuming you are in Indiana, you might train them to plow and advertise in winter. You want to be able to keep them happy and devoted to your business. Employing seasonally might have them packing to see a year round employer. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure that when the time for expansion comes, you'll go through many headaches of trying to find good help. Once you do, however, you won't regret it.

Peace.