1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plant ID needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CSRA Landscaping, May 14, 2002.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the name of this plant? It's a medium-sized shrub, evergreen. I saw it yesterday when I was giving a quote for a clean-up and I wasn't sure what it was.

plant2a.jpg

2. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

How long are those leaves? The pic is nice but has nothing to determine lenth/width of the leaf. Looks like it could be some type of Laurel. We have a few schip laurels around here and a few other varieties as well. They have the same shape and leaves are from 2-3" longe and 1-1.5" wide.

3. CSRA Landscaping

Yeah, they're about 3.75" long and 1.5" wide. Laurel, eh? I'll look it up.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like Prunus laurocerasus, Cherry Laurel. They are blooming with white spikes of flowers in nurseries in my area right now. It is a very nice plant that seems to be on the rise in popularity in my area.
    It is actually an evergreen cherry and not a true laurel.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If they survive in your hardiness zone, the "Otoo Luyken" variety are very dense and the flowering clusters do look good in the spring. They are a hardy plant and spread more in width than height. A good sized specimen may grow to 4' in height and 6' in width in 10-12 years.

Bob

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with everyone else -- Cherry Laurel.

7. CSRA Landscaping

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. :)