Planting arborvitaes

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by MiggyTheTank, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MiggyTheTank

MiggyTheTank LawnSite Member

I am in Michigan

What

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Wiltpruf solves most problems for deer in CT
    ANd deer netting was a very very good revenue stream for me in CT

properlandscaping likes this.
  3. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

Arbs aka White Cedar should be one of the easiest trees to grow in Michigan. The problem you would have in the wrong zone would be that it does not get cold enough, they need a deep deep cold dormant period. White Cedar is native to Michigan. I agree that deer are a major problem though. Also, they wont do well in too much shade. I see dead planted ones all the time but if they are planted with proper irrigation they almost never die.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Land1

Land1 LawnSite Member

I try to avoid installing any plants that the customer buys. I hear it all the time.....found a plant sale over the weekend, Home Depot special or a friend gave them the plants. I love seeing people pull out of Home depot with trees but don't have them tarped.

I tell my customers is kind of like going to restaurant and bringing your own food.

If I do plant something I didn't provide, I definitely would not offer any warranty.

properlandscaping likes this.
  5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

after reading through the replies I'd have to comment that all arbs are not created equal-these have bee in my back border for awhile now....beautiful specimens.

DSCF3931 (4).JPG

hort101 likes this.
  6. Land1

Land1 LawnSite Member

I agree. I rarely have a problem with arborvitae. To me, the key is making sure the client understands proper watering technique for these trees. A typical rain doesn’t help these trees at all. It’s also important to keep them watered through the first summer. I’d recommmend once or twice a week for 1minute with a garden hose.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Desiccation is a major issue for arbs
    Especially new ones that aren’t overwintered in a northern nursery so they aren’t hardy.

You can mix wiltpruf and deer off with amazing results.

http://wiltpruf.com/

https://www.havahart.com/about-deer-off

Only problem is customers rarely if ever collie watering or other maintenance instructions, and then blame contractor for plants dying.

I will typically offer lifetime warranties WITH an uninterrupted maintenance agreement, because my maintenance includes the cost to do those things.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

yup, and, they like a well drained area as well, not happy with oversaturation (wet feet) either.

9. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

in most folks opinion what is a good privacy hedge so to speak. For Pennsylvania type climates etc

10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Memphis so are my parents. They were sold 2 of $200 ornamental spruce from a "reputable" nursery here in town. We are in zone 7 transition zone. These became thin, dying, father called me over to take a look see. Even the tag read zone 2!!!! Now my parents don't know a thing about this. Nor did I know they were getting them and planting them. So be aware be very aware.