1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Planting lawn around trees??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DowntoEarthLLC, Nov 15, 2003.

1. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

Anyone had anny success with this. From what I read and understand this seems to be a pretty hard thing to do. Trees suck up all the water and the grass get none.

I've got a customer that wants to do something with his front yard. Two large Oaks are on either side of the property, small 2 story colonial style house. When I got the job the lawn was non-existant. I over seeded it with rye, but this is just temporary I know. Looks great now. Come Spring I was thinking of just planting a total yard of shade wildflowers. Or some type of shade ground cover. I think going back to a lawn would be a bad idea.

Anyone out here got any suggestions??

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

We have had a lot of luck with the Lesco Teamates blend around trees and in shady areas. Just a thought for you.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto Goodearth, plus try to plant as early as possable before leave come out