Planting plants in their containers

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Have you ever done this? Planting the container and plant in the hole? I need to plant a dozen sago palms and wondered if it’s even feasible. I’d do it to lift them out for overwintering given their questionable hardiness here.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Have you ever done this? Planting the container and plant in the hole? I need to plant a dozen sago palms and wondered if it’s even feasible. I’d do it to lift them out for overwintering given their questionable hardiness here.
I haven't tried it with sago's but that should work. Guess you already know they are heavy. I would of thought they'd be fine just left out there. Does it get that cold over winter? Here the fronds die, we just remove them and let it regrow.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Winters in Arkansas are generally mild, with an average high temperature in the 50s and lows occasionally dipping into freezing, or below 32 degrees, at night. Typically, the coldest month in Arkansas is January, when the overnight low is usually around 30 degrees in many places.Feb 11, 2021 If this is your winter weather why do you take them out?

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Winters in Arkansas are generally mild, with an average high temperature in the 50s and lows occasionally dipping into freezing, or below 32 degrees, at night. Typically, the coldest month in Arkansas is January, when the overnight low is usually around 30 degrees in many places.Feb 11, 2021 If this is your winter weather why do you take them out?
I’ve not ever planted them, but they are questionably hardy here. It’s not uncommon to get in the teens here. It doesn’t stay there long, but it can. Sago palms are not common here for that reason. I just have a client who likes the look.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve not ever planted them, but they are questionably hardy here. It’s not uncommon to get in the teens here. It doesn’t stay there long, but it can. Sago palms are not common here for that reason. I just have a client who likes the look.
We get cold temps and freezing rain but it never kills Sago's. I like the look of them too but removed them from my yard. They can get pretty big (wide). Our climate is sub tropical. I'd go for it if she is willing to pay. Again, remember they get heavy and will prick the heck out of you.

RB

LawnSite Senior Member
I wouldn't plant sago palms in their container. I wouldn't plant anything in the container. Never even thought about it. Interesting though.

Top Forums